Why preamp "helps?"

Hi, first-time poster.  I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseum, somewhere, but here goes.

I have a couple of digital pieces with built-in volume control/attenuation (e.g., Oppo 95 and Cary DAC200ts).

In monkeying with the components, I find that I prefer to have preamps in the chain--whether they are tube or solid state.  In two of the setups, a preamp would be entirely un"necessary."

It just doesn't quite make logical sense to me that putting another component in the chain with the extra "stuff" and cabling that the signal goes through would or should sound "better."  Seems logical that having a more direct signal to the amps should be an "improvement."  Sure, the tubes do their thing, but, in a secondary/tertiary system, even for an Emotiva solid state preamp?

I'm not trying to start some sort of debate, but any thoughts on why or how a typical, arguably superfluous, preamp makes it "better?"

Thank you.

stfoth

Showing 1 response by campo007

I think Arthur Salvatore described it best,

"Active Versus Passive Line Stages - A Mainly Circular and Fruitless Argument
Only when the original signal source has the required energy to directly drive the power amplifier, without any sonic compromises, can a passive line stage ever be used with complete success, since the only function remaining at that point is signal attenuation. This basic technical fact is why audiophiles talk past each other when they argue which is better; passive or active. This is because the actual results completely depend on the specific system in question; in particular the source’s energy output and the amplifier’s energy input requirement.

Those audiophiles who have the sources with the required energy (a minority), will not be able to understand how anyone would want to listen to the inevitable sonic degradations of any active line stage, when there are no corresponding sonic benefits. Meanwhile, those audiophiles whose sources do not have the required energy (a majority), will not be able to understand how anyone would prefer to avoid some relatively minor audible problems while simultaneously ignoring the much larger and more easily noticeable sonic benefits they are experiencing. Both sides are undeniably correct, because they are experiencing two very different realities, though all of their experiences are consistent with the laws of acoustics and electronics."