Why Not More Conversation about VAC?

As I browse Audiogon's posts...I'm constantly amazed at the lack of attention, questions, remarks about VAC, (Valve Amplification Company).
First and foremost, I'm thinking that most if not all of us are music lovers--and I'm not aware, subjectively, of course, of more, just out and out, musical sounding electronics. And, I don't mean that in a perjorative, 'colored' sense...I mean that in the most flattering sense.
The lack of comments may mean nothing, but it just strikes me as 'absent' from good discussions.
Second, and beyond the stellar sound, if you want great gear, and a great person to buy it from, who better in terms of accommodation, knowledge and service than Kevin Hayes. Like the Bobster (Palkovic) his reputation for building first rate stuff and then backing it to the hilt is unsurpassed.

Kevin is also a great guy AND music lover of the first order...a friend too, but I'm not shilling here, just seriously wondering why VAC isn't further up the discussion ladder.

Kinda like reading Motor Trend Magazine, in which they 'Test Drive' a Mustang in EVERY ISSUE!!!

Just wondering.

Larry
lrsky

Showing 6 responses by fplanner2010

VAC "costs" are relative - most VAC owners seem to keep their gear for quite a while, so their "investment" over time might be the same or even less than if they were trading out every 6 months, like a number of people do with other brands.

When you build great products that stand the test of time in the first place, there is no need for Kevin to be consumed with constantly upgrading everything, IMO. I really like the "if its not broke, don't fix it" business model VAC seems to employ. I have found their service to be exemplary, with reasonable turn-around times on the few instances my gear was at their facility.

Its easy to understand why things might occasionally fall through the cracks from the service side for about 6 weeks prior to and 4 after a major show like CES. This is not a criticism of VAC - its just common sense. I would think most people would realize this, but maybe not.

I've been extremely pleased with the quality and performance of my VAC gear and the service and assistance provided by Kevin and Brent has been without peer, in my experience. They have taken me off the pre-amp/amp upgrade merry-go-round and for that I am grateful - more time to listen to the MUSIC, which is what its all about.
Coincidentally, I have recently replaced the front tubes of my 300.1s with CV-181 Shuguang Black Treasures. I immediately got a stronger bass presence, wider and deeper soundstage and a more organic "you are there" sound. I got the premium tubes from Grant Fidelity and at first only changed out the center 2 tubes of each amp. I liked the sound so much I also changed out the ends. I would say the center 2 gave me about 70-75% of the change, with the ends making up the difference. Contrary to what I had heard elsewhere, it was nowhere near 95/5, at least not in my system.

These tubes are relatively expensive and pretty widely known for their quality and performance. It is the first and probably LAST time I will tube roll, quitting with a 1 for 1 average. If interested, I would try the center 2 spots and see what you think. This was easily a "1-2 component upgrade" to my 300.1s - I would say a 20-25% improvement and the new tubes are not even close to being broken in yet. If I hadn't just done it, I probably wouldn't have believed such an improvement was possible with just a few little (but expensive :-)) tubes... Good Luck and as Kevin is known to expound - "Welcome to the VAC family!"
Hi Dev-
I haven't had a desire at all to tube roll my VAC preamp, instead taking the path of "if its not broke and sounds great, don't fix it". The amps were a lot easier to deal with as far as just popping tubes in and out and I had heard there could be a considerable improvement. Not so much so on the preamp.

I totally agree with you on getting the 450s broken in before you touch anything else - I would do the same thing.
Knghifi - thanks for sharing above. Do I understand you to be saying the CV-181-Z can replace some tubes in my preamp? Which ones? I have the Ren Sig MkIIa. This is pure curiosity for when/if I decide to do a bit more "tweaking". Thank you again.

BTW - A Ferrari is a better handling Ferrari on Pirellis.YMMV.
OK - Now I understand :-). What tubes did you end up replacing and what with? thanks.
I have the CV-181's (4 in each amp) and have been very happy with them. Its been a while since I put them in - I recall an increase in musicality as well as a additional clarity in the mids and highs. Not night and day, but noticeable, at least to me.