Why does my old CD player sound so much better than my new streamer?

Earlier this year I upgraded my system. Briefly, new Prima Luna Dialogue Premium HP integrated, new Lumin D2 streamer/DAC, kept my Tekton speakers, bought a 10 year old Muse Erato CD player, new Nordost Red Dawn cables all around.  After plenty of break in, the Lumin D2 streaming Tidal, even 24/96, does not sound close to as good as the Muse Erato.  I understand the Muse was about $10k new years ago, I paid $650 for it on Audiogon, is that the difference? It replaced my Naim I had for 20+ years and I bought it on the chance I want to listen to something not on Tidal, but now I'm going to CDs when I want to sit and listen instead of streaming. I considered upgrading to the Lumin T2, but will that be more of the same Lumin sound, which is accurate but thin and a little cold compared to the Muse.  I like the Lumin when just letting Tidal shuffle music as I move around the house, but from the opening note in an A/B test the Muse just sounds so much warmer, live and simply more enjoyable. Any thoughts or suggestions?
fsgattuso
The problem we found regarding switches, is exactly the same you hear and see regarding all audio products. The fact that they are incomplete. This means that they can not reveal all aspects of sound.

When we compare different switches with each other it becomes clear that the differences are huge. Lumin works differently regarding the transport of data. For this, the impact and result of using a better network switch are bigger compared to most other network players.

We have sold many modified Sboosters on the switch we use. Most of our clients experienced it as one of the most impressive upgrades they ever made. At first, you think and even believe that it can not make a big difference. But......audio is all about facts and what it does to the end result.
Bo - What modifications do you do to the Sbooster and what do you charge for it? 
Streaming music (uncompressed) suppose sound as good as CD player if you used same DAC. I like Tidal streaming esp with MQA. If I have collection of SACD and 192/24 HiRes music and they do sound better than 44.1/16. However, I enjoy reading CD booklet while listening to mt CDs. I enjoy the music regardless of format.
We don’t share the details of the modifications. We also modified Sbooster in the US. The costs are 189 euro excluding shipping to the Netherlands. When I have time we will place an advertisement on Audiogon. With photos and more details.

I own for over 25000 dollars on music on my Lumin L1. And I also bought a lof of DSD music all over the world. But hi-res recordings are not always better than just 16-44.1khz recordings. I have a lot of 16-bit 44.1khz recordings which are even better than good DSD recordings.

It really depends on how it has been recorded. Most recent hi-res and also MQA recordings are very limited. This is due to the way it has been recorded. I listen to new music for about 5-7 hours each week. The average sound quality is getting worse, to be honest.

Artists earn most money these days by live concerts. This has a negative outcome on the level of both music and sound quality. The way of recording; hi-res PCM, DSD or MQA never guarantees you any better quality.

But the best DSD recordings are by far the best available in the world. But DSD is not used a lot. There are also enough rather poor DSD recordings. But playing the same music by a modified music server and modified power supply together makes all kinds of streaming of this music by Tidal and Qobuz one big laugh.  

Last week we sold another modified Lumin L1 with a modified SBooster. He said on the phone; " I stopped streaming music this weekend" . I did it a lot, but now I understand your words: "This is so addictive and not even comparable" And tonight we had contact again and he said: " " Each evening I listened for hours in a row. This is so nice. "

We will soon let our clients speak. We started with different people in the US as well. When these systems are full adapted they want to share it with you. You can even visit them when you want to. In our country, we do it all the time. We send new clients to our clients all the time. Audio is all about shootout and comparison.