Who says studio monitors are "cold and analytical"?

Who says studio monitors are "cold and analytical"?  Does that mean audiophile speakers are warm/colored and distorted?   If Studio Monitors main goal is low distortion, does that mean low distortion is not something audiophiles want?  They want what, high distortion?  "Pretty" sounding distortion?  Or find pretty sounding speakers that make bad recordings sound really good?  What is the point of searching out good recordings then?  They won't sound as intended on a highly colored distorted speaker!   

Ag insider logo xs@2xlonemountain

I have ATC SCM7’s second generation, new ATC SCM40’s, and still have ATC SCM35’s. The latter replace biamped Dahlquist DQ10’s with double subwoofers. I have listened to numerous other ATC models, both in the professional and consumer lines, some amplified versions.

I have never heard them sound as Kenjit describes with good source material. Never. I have heard lots of speakers sound cold and hard, though I won’t name any to avoid flame wars.

I do understand what Kenjit is trying to get across as an idea, although it is based on misconception. 
I will also counter that the acoustic suspension of the consumer Entry series allows for easy room placement and avoids issues of room interaction with a ported design.

“Mastering studios are where you are more likely than not to find these audiophile type speakers such as TAD, B&W etc”

Fair comment Kenjit ……..

I use a pair of Geithain RL901K actives, in my 3rd year with these, replaced Tannoy Legacy Ardens.

I certainly get all the audiophile attributes with these Cardiod speakers, used by at least one professional mastering engineer I’m aware of who definitely appreciates the sound for work and pleasure.

ATC are known for their dome mid driver. This is what they are most famous for and supposedly this dome has magical properties.

The idea of splitting the signal into parts has the advantage of being able to deisgn drivers which are optimized to reproduce the frequencies they cover.

However as with all speakers that use multiple drivers, splitting the signal into parts requires the parts to be summed up again using a crossover. The result will never be as good as if the signal had remained undivided to begin with. It takes GOLDEN EARS to really hear these deficiencies. I’ve not heard or read anybody speak about this so it can only be assumed that 99% of audiophiles aren’t good enough to really identify these flaws. I have been to speaker demonstrations where the speeakers were wired up out of phase to each other. Apparently I noticed it immediately whereas the guys doing the demo couldnt hear it. It was both laughable and shocking at the same time and goes to show how even flagrant mistakes can go unnoticed.

I did once hear the ATC SCM25. I heard no magic going on in the mids. In fact I was not impressed with what I heard overall.

heres a post from a ATC SCM25 user

https://gearspace.com/board/high-end/976060-atc-scm25a-revealing-just-wrong.html

I can barely listen to some older songs I used to like purely because they sound so bad on these monitors...