Which Solid-State Preamp under $7,000.00 New?

On the following list of solid-state active preamps under $7,000 new, or under $4,500.00 used, which is overall the most utterly transparent,least colored, balanced top-to-bottom, neutral, dynamic, open, and 3-dimensional? Which passes the signal with the VERY LEAST degradation to it?
1.ARC LS3
2.AYRE K-1x.
3.HERRON AUDIO HL-1
4.KLYNE MODEL 7LX3.5
5.KRELL KRC-HR
6.PASS LABS X 1
7.PLACETTE ACTIVE
8.SIM AUDIO P-5
Thanks for your responses!
daltonlanny

Showing 1 response by cytocycle

The Placette Active is truely an increadible piece, it is only single ended, unless you get a custom balanced version. It transformed my system, and I wish I hadn't sold it to go tube. I would also consider the Rowland Synergy IIi, which I also tested, the Rowland was a little more laidback in the top and presented a little wider soundstage but the placette presented a deeper soundstage. so testing in your own system is always the best way.

I found the Krell and the SIM gear to harsh on the top end for my liking, I didn't choose the Pass X1 because of ground hum issues various people experienced (do a search in the forums) and also you are best going completely balanced with the Pass. The Rowland was outstanding even with the Balanced to Single ended convertors and dead silent, but the Placette was even quieter. If you go to battery powered on the Rowland you can take it to the next level and save yourself some money on powercords.

Best service(never needed any but upgrades for HT pass through or any other questions) is by far Guy at Placette...