Which is REALLY the best Conrad Johnson Preamp

I would like to start a discussion about what you think is the best sounding CJ Preamp. Just because the manufacturer needs to change to sell more boxes and Magazines need advertising dollars doesn't always mean that the sonics have improved. For example some audiophiles like the older art series over the new GAT Preamps and it's lesser siblings. Would like the informed opinions of those lucky audiophiles who have heard both. I like the old CJ sound but haven't heard the new offerings.
128x128baranyi

Showing 1 response by br3098

Are you including full preamps with phono sections or only line stages w/o phono? Tube or SS?

I have owned and had long-term listening experience with several CJ preamps, but I cannot say that I have heard or could rate them all. There was a large change in the CJ sound starting around 1998, or about the time that the Premier 16 was introduced. So there is a fuzzy line there; some guys prefer the "old" CJ sound, and some (like me) prefer the newer genre of preamps.

Having said that, I think that there are few people who will disagree that the ART and ART-inspired preamps are not amongst the finest preamps on the market.

Here are my favorites, keep in mind that I am a value-oriented buyer. I tend to not acquire the super high cost stuff unless I can find a hell of a deal.

CT-5 - one of the best I have ever heard
CT-6 - almost as good as the CT-5 for considerably less gelt
Premier 17 - all around great performer
Premier 18 - same as above, if you can find one at the right price
PFR - a hell of a SS preamp for the money IMO
PV-10B - not the best sounding, but a heck of a tube preamp for the money
Classic - again, a lot of preamp for the money