Which Integrated?

I'm looking for a good quality, 'higher end', integrated amp. I am sick of using cheaper components (READ:nakamichi receiver) that make everything sound soooooo glaringly digital and fatiguing. High end separates are too expensive for me, but I would like to get into that type of higher end sound.

I will be spending about $1200 USD (give or take). So far, I have read about the Unison Research Unico (nice) and the Moon i-3.

I currently run nht 2.5i speakers (which i will be selling in order to downsize - I find they are too big for my room)

Any suggestions? Any comments from users of the aforementioned equipment?

Thanks

Loose
loosevogtf603

Showing 4 responses by loosevogtf603

I read up on the Aronov integrated and one thing that has me concerned is the fact that it is all tube. If I'm going to include tubes at all, I simply want them in the preamp stage.

I do not discount the quality of this piece, but I do not want to have to worry about constant tube upkeep.

Keep 'em coming, people!!!

thanks again!
by the way...

I don't really want to buy anything from online...I'm VERY VERY skeptical when it comes to online purchase...i have heard horror stories.

Steve
Thanks tons guys...

So far, I've looked into some of your suggestions...

I had already looked at the Blue Circle CS, but the Unison Research blew it away. As far as YBA is concerned, I'm not sure that it is what I'm looking for (although admittedly, I have not tried it out).

I would prefer to stay new (or demo), but not used as I have had bad experiences with used equipment.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen
Actually, despite the fact that it is likely that i will sell my NHT 2.5i's , i still have a pair of NHT 1.3a's that i will use. They are enough for my room. I know their sound and i know their deficiencies. So, selecting an amp based on their sound should not be a problem.

I will use them as a reference and i will work from there. I only have funds right now for one toy at a time (READ: HQ integrated)

I am sick of using cheap Nakamichi a/v receiver... I want a good base piece.

If i buy the speakers first, I will be stuck in the same situation - my weak link will still be the Nakamichi.

Although some might disagree, NHT speakers can sound DAMN GOOD with the proper equipment.

I just don't want to go 'all tube'.

Thanks again everyone.

Stephen