Which external SSD for music streaming?

My new music streamer has a USB socket to connect an external Solid State Drive. I am thinking of getting one with 2 or 4 TB storage capacity to store my whole CD collection on it. What I don't know is how fast such an SSD needs to be. I was thinking of a Crucial X6 (up to 800 MB/s), or X9 (up to 1050MB/s). Or is any SSD fast enough to stream music smoothly? Thanks

stievus

a member here with significant streaming expertise (can't remember who) recommended the Samsung T7 a couple years ago--i bought two on that recommendation although my streamer is also a server with its own internal storage so i just use them for backup--but i can designate the streamer to use them (which i did at first) and they worked smoothly.  Someone above also mentioned.

The external Samsung drives should be fine, but are more costly than Samsung SATA drives in a third party external USB case. A QVO 2.5” 4 TB drive in a competent USB 3.0/3.1 case might bring a better cost-per-GB ratio and shouldn’t sacrifice anything for audio data purposes.

I only mention this because comparative price point seems a consideration of OP.

Either you have enough bandwidth or you don't.   Any USB 3.0 port will have plenty of bandwidth.  

It's like those Internet providers who offer gigabit speeds (and more) to the house, when watching TV takes less than 10 MB.

@russbutton If only using TV, yes. But who does that in 2024?

What I already learned from this conversation is that 1) I should go for a reliable brand ssd, 2) Mb/s will always be sufficient for only streaming music 3) I can choose between an external disc or internal 2.5 one within a dedicated case 4) I best try out whether the ssd usb will be compatible with the streamer usb. Thanks

@benanders Just to be sure, a Sata drive in a USB 3.1 case will work with the USB 2.0 input socket of the streamer?