Which combination of components (Streamer, DAC, Preamp, Amp, etc.) are most future-proof?

Hi all,

I’m in the process of gently upgrading my older, mid-fi system. I’ve started with speakers (Salk WOW1’s, REL 328 sub). I recognize that the amplification, cables, room, and source all need investment.

I’m focusing first on source(s) and how to serve them up. While I have a decent CD collection, mostly I’ve been streaming my music from ripped MP3 files and Spotify. I no longer have a working CD player. I know that higher resolution sources (lossless files or high quality streaming) is important. Re-ripping my collection may become a project.

So, here’s my question — a lot of reading has shown me a dizzying range of ways to go. Music servers/streamers, DAC, preamp, amp are available in many combinations. I’d like quality but am not inclined to spend tens of thousands of dollars; I resist going the "separates" route for *every* piece. So which combinations make the most sense? A streamer/DAC? A preamp/DAC? An integrated amp/DAC? Something else?

In addition to resisting separates, I’d like to invest in good components which won’t quickly be outdated. So, for example, if DAC’s are likely to evolve quickly, then I’d like my integrated amp to not be weighed down by a DAC which would too quickly become a vestigial organ inside it.

To reiterate the question: What combination components would best help out with some portion of the sequence of serving--converting--amplifying--digital sources materials while avoiding too-rapid obsolescence?

Thanks for entertaining the question. Again, I’ve read a lot, but it’s not made my path clear. (Or maybe I just get a PS Sprout and call it a day?)

Dave
128x128hilde45

Showing 9 responses by kren0006

It’s not an easy question to answer because a lot of the factors conflate. As you allude, separates offer greatest flexibility. All in ones the greatest convenience but with compromises.

Dacs/streamers are advancing at more rapid pace than amps/preamps, which are arguably advancing at slightly more rapid pace than speakers, although each of the latter two groups much slower moving than dacs/streamers/servers etc.

So where does that leave you? Well since speakers have biggest impact on sound quality and least likely to go obsolete, can’t go wrong loading heavy on speakers.

Next, sounds like an integrated amp would suit you based on your description. Tough thing with this is more and more they include dacs (the trend), which runs against your wish re portion becoming outdated. I guess manufacturers are finding consumers are valuing the convenience over the fear of subset obsolescence.

Then as to the sources, the dacs/streamers/servers advancing rapidly but the improvements are also substantial, so that’s a good thing. We want progress and improvement right?

Good luck, not sure if this is helpful but clear from your post you’re smart enough to figure out a fit that’ll work for you.

Fwiw, in my reference system I spent 45% on speakers, 32% on an integrated amp without a dac, 12% on a streamer/dac, and 11% on cables/conditioner/isolation, after considering many of the factors you mention. 

In my secondary systems, to this point the convenience, value and relatively decent quality of all-in-one type systems has so far carried the day, but I’m likely to move to something closer to my main system percentage breakdown for system 2 within next 9 months 
Everyone will have preferences, and ideas on how to partition a budget.

Of course everything matters in the absolute.

The hard part is getting the best sound from the whole for a given budget.

I’d argue the best $2k dac/streamer can get 97% of the performance of a $10k dac streamer (give or take, you get the point), but the best $2k speakers will pale in comparison to the best $10k speakers when paired with that best $2k dac.

Just my opinion. Not here to argue. YMMV

Problem is, today’s best $2k dac is not tomorrow’s best $2k dac; but today’s best $10k speaker more likely (than the dac, anyway) to be tomorrow’s best $10k speaker (to extent that even quantifiable). That’s my point, and get’s to what OP was asking about re obsolecense.

My first post I suppose was in some sense broader than what OP was asking.  He was interested in amps/pre/source and I kinda broadened it out to whole system because I think you have to look at everything all at once even if only tweaking portion of system, if only to convince yourself you aren't going down a fruitless path
Yep, that’s why if at all possible it is best to audition as many things as possible before purchasing. Serves two purposes: 1) offers better chance that you’ll make more informed decision according to your unique sonic preferences based on comparative results; and 2) offers some comfort that you’ve already experienced what’s out there so less ’upgraditis’ pull, I’ve found ...
Haha, easy pal. Ok, maybe 90% is more fair. Don’t get bent outta shape. Just one person’s opinion. You or anyone free to disagree and I’ll not chastise you : )

My main point was if I had 12k to spend on speakers and a streamer/ dac, I’d go 10/2, knowing I’d probably upgrade dac in 5 years but keep speakers 15. But other reasonable folks will disagree and I have no problem with that. Point wasn’t so much to finely compare dacs so perhaps the mention of percentages was distracting but it was only meant to make the larger point
Correct, Erik. 

Dave, OP’s original question is about future-proof - heck it’s right in the title. My and erik’s point is that speakers and amps/pre’s are much more settled that way, especially vs streamers.

OP could take Dave’s advice about going big on the source at expense of the others(at least that’s how I read his initial post disagreeing with my recommendation), but at least as to streamer/dac it comes with much more risk. Both that such source will soon be eclipsed by superior tech in relatively rapidly advancing space (compared to Audio in general), or because of nonsupport considerations as Erik mentions
I know I was agreeing with you Erik. Dave’s post snuck between ours as I was typing. I went back and clarified after I noticed the ambiguity 
For streamer/dac I have Teac my-505. It was $2k new but now I think you can find it for a little less. It’s really good. Forum user jackd, after owning both, says it’s better than LUMIN D1. 
that audiolab 600n looks pretty interesting on paper anyway, have never heard it but worth checking out given low cost and some good reviews
I’ve seen some positive and some not as reviews on it. I haven’t seen or heard it. But for the low price it looks really interesting 

let us know what you wind up with and any comparisons you do along the way