Which 6922?

Seasons greetings fellow A'goners.Of the current production 6922's who would you say has the warmest,most musical tube.Thanks for your input.Have a great weekend!
freediver

Showing 2 responses by trelja

This kind of goes against what you are asking for, but I strongly believe you are best served by staying away from current 6922/6DJ8 variants. That may change in the future, as there are some new production tubes that rival the old days, but from what I have seen so far, not for this tube type. They strike me as either being thick and veiled or brittle, hard, and incredibly amusical. That being said, I guess I like the JJs best.

Instead, my recommendation is to seek out older 6922/6DJ8 tubes. If you stay away from those that carry all the prestige and are fought over in auctions, you can get closer to the performance of the best than most give credit for, at prices no worse than new production variants.

Incidentally, I specifically recommend against the Philips ECG JAN 6922 that a lot of people are steered into as an alternate to new production. It's a cold, heartless sounding thing.
That's funny, Tef8568!

It reminds me of a thread on cryogenic treatment, and a poster offered to have his ex wife sleep with whatever component (wire, tube, etc.) as she also met this description.