Which 12AX7 tubes for EAR 834P phono stage?

I am experimenting with vinyls, and acquired EAR phono stage for a starter. I've compared the sound of EAR against Camelot Lancelot, and Sutherland PhD on two different systems. To my ears EAR sounds lush and smooth, perhaps a little too much so. I would like more lively and dynamic sound, like Sutherland phono stage. Can I replace the tubes in EAR and make the sound to the direction of more lively and dynamic? Or do I need to look for a different phono stage? I'm currently using a Rega table with Benz Micro MC cartridge loaned from my friend. I will be using a B&O table with moving iron MMC 20CL cartridge when I have everything set up next week or so.
jylee

Showing 1 response by beatlebum

I currently have the stock tube in the V3 position (cathode follower/output stage) and NOS 1960's Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7's in V1 (gain stage) and V2 (gain/RIAA equalization stage) positions and it sounds excellent. I tried some NOS 1960's RCA Command series 5751's in the V1/V2 positions and it sounded great too! The Bugle Boys have the soundstage depth and finesse of the 5751's with a touch more extension/sparkle in the highs and better bass extension and noticeably better midrange (which I've found that's where Bugle Boys in either 12AX7 or 6DJ8, excel at).

Happy listening to you,

Tim