When Streaming, is 128kps good or not so good?

As a complete neophyte to the downloadable-digital world, is streaming at 128kps technically any good?

The background: I am a SIRUS suscriber and recently realized I could stream at work using my NuForce iCon and Silverline Minutes.

SIRUS charges $2.99 to stream at 128kps, otherwise it is free. From a cost-benefit analysis, I think it is $2.99 well spend and it sound great for a background, in the office, computer based music system.

Where does 128kps lie in the spectrum? (no flames please)

Thanks, John
jb8312

Showing 1 response by robrush

I personally think it depends on the source. I'm not sure what bitrate Sirius broadcasts at, but my recent experience with Sirius in rental cars is a joke. I find anything except for talk radio to be almost unlistenable as it is so lifeless.

Conversely, my XM unit at home sounds more consistant with what I would guess is a 128 bitrate. Certainly more dynamic range to be found there.

Also, don't rule out the possibility of a variable bitrate being broadcast, which is even worse (likely to average 96bitrate) and makes cymbals sounds underwater and bass non-existent.

For a true example of 128 bitrate, visit www.livephish.com
Amazing sound for free. Keep in mind their recording pratices are/were at the top of the game.

RR