Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Your surprise in justified and understandable @slaw. I made statements a while back about what I considered the folly of issuing "audiophile" LP pressings of albums whose recorded sound quality made such a pressing the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig. I still feel that way, but Tapestry is NOT amongst such albums. Not just a good sounding recording, but truly a classic album. Unlike a lot of early-70’s albums, this one doesn’t sound dated.

I’ve been curious to hear just how good the MoFi UltraDisc One-Step pressings sound, but didn’t love the music on any of the previous titles (including Blood On The Tracks) enough to be willing to pay to find out. MoFi has finally picked a title that broke down that resistance. Michael at 45 RPM Audiophile (his Vinyl Community videos are viewable on YouTube) has compared his One-Steps to other pressings of the same albums, and his reviews were unreserved raves.

For those who don’t know, the UltraDisc One-Step LP’s are a radical improvement in LP technology in two ways: 1- Two steps in the LP manufacturing process---the making of a Father and Mother, used in between the metal part cut by the mastering engineer and the stampers---are eliminated. And 2- MoFi is pressing the LP’s using the new "Super" vinyl formulation (it has a name and number, which elude my memory), which possesses the lowest noise floor we’ve ever had. Some other audiophile companies are also starting to use that new vinyl formulation.

I know, was scratchin my head about that choice for an expensive one step.   It will sell out of course - people love it.  But I never thought the sound quality was good or really the point.  

Well, who woulda thought the Santana album could sound that good? Eliminating those two steps provides a marked increase in transparency, or at least that is what has been reported by people with rather high standards. We shall see!

I have scratched my head at other chosen titles, but am well aware that my taste in music is not in line with MoFi's target audience: Boomers with mainstream tastes. Tapestry is definitely such a title, but I'm not THAT snobby. ;-) 

I passed on the Santana because I had previously bought in to all the other reissues. Common’!

I will say that of the 4 UD1S titles I do own, they are vastly superior to previous copies.

I now have to include, Patricia Barber "Cafe Blue" Impex. Sounds vastly superior to my 33/45rpm MFSL pressings