Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by sourpuss123

The Sadies / Colder Streams

2022 Yep Roc

arrived a few days ago.... had to put my mind right before giving it a listen. R.I.P. Dallas Good and God bless the Sadies....

Carry on

@mammothguy54 thanks! I bought some Mullard 12ax7’s on his recommendation and put the Telefunken’s in my guitar rigs (just kidding, they are in storage). I’ll give him a call on Monday. It’ll probably cost me some interconnects as I’ve been wanting to ask him about that as well.

carry on

The Boss Martians / The Boss Martians 👽 (1995 Dionysus)

James Brown / Live at the Apollo (1966 reprint / King)

I was experiencing low output in the right speaker. My model 7 is 56 years old and bone stock. Problem has occurred in the past and usually mitigated using a bit-o-de-ox fader lube in the output pot and giving it a few turns. Not this time. Out of frustration I unboxed the Luxman L-550 A II. I love the phono stage!

Problem solved.

Along with the output pot, the rca connectors are rather worn and I’ve thought about upgrading them. I’m torn as I believe modifying it would diminish its value.However, I bought it to listen to. Most of you seem like reasonable, rational people 😎. If you care to share an opinion, I’m all ears.

thrive

The Howard Roberts Quartet / This is Howard Roberts color him funky. (1963 / Capital Records)

Robyn Hitchcock/ Eye (1990 / twin tone)

@bslon stirred up memories of summer skiing at Snowbird and crashing in a lift operators house in ‘83. She made me a cassette cassette copy of…

INXS / Shabooh Shoobah (1983 / Phonogram a Netherlands reprint).

also in todays mail….

The Psychedelic Furs / Mirror Moves (1984 / CBS an Italian copy).

oh, the good ‘ol daze!

@bslon I likes me some Shabooh Shoobah

Bert Jansch / L.A. Turnaround 

1974 Charisma 

on a side note, a gratuitous shoutout to Aleks Tammeorg at Degritter.  When the above mentioned album arrived from Holland and was being cleaned, I discovered that the water tank on my Degritter cracked.  It had sat unused for perhaps three weeks and I was changing the water out when I noticed.  It has been sitting on a table unmoved for perhaps three months. I sent an email and had a reply from Aleks the next morning with an offer to send a replacement. It arrived in about a week. I’m an even bigger fan now.

carry on

Dazed and Confused Soundtrack

Highway Star and Paranoid were played loudly with a smile.

The Modern Lovers / self titled (RE BMG - 2016)

Cowboy Junkies / The Trinity Session (RE 2017 / RCA)

The Sadies / Favourite Colours (2004 / Yep Roc)

(cd) Bert Jansch / L.A. Turnaround (1974 produced by Mike Nesmith(?) I will hunt down a decent original lp

World Party / Good bye Jumbo (1990 Chrysalis)

Thin Lizzy / Jailbreak (1976 Mercury)

Does anyone really care about what music is playing that anyone put on?

Faith No More / We Care A Lot

Lucinda Williams / Bob’s Back Pages: A Night of Bob Dylan Songs (2020 / Highway 20 Records)

my favorite of the “Lu’s Jukebox in studio  concert series “

next up….

Rush / Rush (1974 / Mercury)

Lucinda Williams / Southern Soul from Memphis to Muscle Shoals and more (2020 / Highway 20 records)

Lucinda Williams / Runnin’ Down a Dream a tribute to Tom Petty (2020 / Highway 20 records)

Lucinda Williams / Funny How Time Slips Away - a night of 60’s country classics.  (2020 / Highway 20 Records) 

Lu’s Jukebox In Studio Concert Series Vol.4

First of four recently purchased from this series to arrive.

Can’t wait for the rest.

thrive

Merry Christmas to all!

Northwest Chamber Orchestra of Seattle, Alun Francis, conductor / Baroque Christmas Music, Teleman, Purcell, Valentini, Torelli, Schiassi (Hyperion 1981)

thrive 

Fleet Foxes / Fleet Foxes (2008 Sub Pop)

I love this album. But this is the rare occasion that I prefer my digital copy. In all fairness, my vinyl has a nasty, persistent “pop” through the majority of what may perhaps be my favorite cut on the album. Though, knowing me, I’m just say’n that cuz I’ve fixated on that. Sounds pretty damn good otherwise.

I find it an immersive album & I’m on the hunt for a cleaner copy.

Shabbat? She bop

@puffball08  thanks for triggering the Fripp memory.  Saw the League of Crafty Guitarists at the Backstage in Ballard (Seattle) late ‘80’s or early ‘90’s. A very impressive show. Bought a cassette at the venue.  The backstage, now long gone,is also where I caught shows by Bill Frisell, The Ventures and I want to believe I saw Wanda Jackson there as well. Memory impairment was a byproduct of those hazy days.

spinning tonight…

Nilsson / Harry (1969 RCA/ Victor)

Julian Bream / Romantic Guitar (1971 RCA red seal)

thrive

Arrived today…

Jennifer Warnes / Famous Blue Raincoat (1986, Cypress Records)

saw at least two references to this recently and my interest was piqued. I first became aware of her through her movie soundtracks, and later backing Leonard Cohen. Remember my pleasure in hearing (and watching) her in the Roy Orbison Black and White Night special.

thanks

also… a cleaner copy of Stay Awake, various interpretations of music from vintage Disney films (1988 A&M Records).

Garth Hudson, NRBQ, Sinaed O’Connor, Sun Ra & his Atkestra! Harry Nilsson, James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, Los Lobos, and so much more. Produced by Hal Willner. Get a good copy when you can.

thrive

Finally! Ordered once only to be told they couldn’t find it and was refunded. Found another copy in Germany that arrived today.

The Godfather’s / Birth. School.Work. Death. (Epic 1988)

had this on cassette when it was as released and was reminded of it when @bslon posted a couple weeks back. It was worth the wait.

also in today’s mail, cleaned and in the queue….

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss / Raise The Roof (Rounder 2021)

Fleet Foxes / Fleet Foxes (Sub Pop 2008)

The Shins / Wincing The Night Away (Sub Pop 2007)

Meet The Beatles! (1964 Capital) mono

A recent splurge. Great condition better than I remember.

Lmao!
Attributions to Louis Jordan. 

“Outside in and inside out you're my meat
Fat and forty but lordy you're my meat
From your feet to your head you knock me dead, you're my meat
I got you covered but baby, you're my meat

In the days of old when knights were bold
They were pious and modest I'm told
Can't you see that couldn't be me
I'd have to talk about your yams and your big fat hams

It excites me so because I know you're my meat
Fat and forty but lordy you're my meat”.

a poet!

Followed by,

what’s the use of getting sober (when you’re gonna get drunk again)?

thrive

@tomic601 I’m glad you found it worth a listen. A Seattle connection there as well.  I’ve that and “color him Funky”.  I believe that they were recorded about the same time, same combo.? I could be misinformed, or more likely, mis remembered.

Louis Jordan & His Timpani Five / Jivin’ with Jordan

A “best of collection” released 1985 by Charly Records.

“five guys named Moe” and “is you is or is you ain’t my baby?” are worth twice the price of admission. 4 sides of the good old days at its best.

”….that chick’s too young to fry..” 🤷🏼‍♂️

as always, YMMV

Stay Awake / Various Interpretations of Music from Various Disney Films (A&M 1988)

A great collection of Artist & produced by Hal Willner. It’s where I discovered Bill Frisell. Tom Waits singing “Heigh Ho” is memorable. As is Los Lobos, Bonnie Raitt, Yma Sumac, Nilsson, Ringo w/ Herb Alpert (again with Bill Frisell). The whole damn album, actually. I approve!

“…three inches is such a wretched height…”

carry on

Just arrived:

The Animals/ The Best Of  1966 MGM

was a bit concerned as the cover has all been doodled up by some adoring fan boy/girl, but the vinyl is clean and crisp.  Nice to relive this little nugget from my past.

also,

Garland Jeffreys / Ghost Writer 1977 A&M

Gary U.S. Bonds / Dedication 1981 EMI  

it’s early yet