What used speaker would you buy with $20,000-$35,000 and why?

I'm closer to the 20,000 part, but if I get stretched i would like to know higher recommendations. Remember, this is on the used market - not retail. I'm even interested if you think I should make a huge jump (say to 50,000), but I want to know what justifies that jump. I'd like the best bang for the buck and even the worse bang for the buck. Are there speaker lines that are totally overlooked that sound wonderful in this price range that I need to be exposed to? I may go higher, but lets start there.

PS Let's just assume the upstream equipment is adequate to drive any recommended speaker. We are not limited by upstream components.
Ag insider logo xs@2xnab2

Showing 1 response by jwmazur

This really doesn't need to be discussed at such length. have been through so many speakers and waisted so much money on speakers, amplifiers and all the trappings trying to find an evocative, emotional connection, where the sound was natural and I didn't have to have my head in a vice to hear the sweat spot. I have had several Magnelans, 2 sets of Linkwitz's Audio Artistry speakers, Thiels, horns, ...you name it. The most natural, easy-to-listen to speakers have been well- designed omni-directional speakers. Forget Ohm. I had those and the woodworking looked like it was from an eighth grade shop class and the sound was like having horse blankets over the speakers. Having experienced Decware omni's is where I discovered THE natural sound, where it was ethereal, and not thrown at me with a shovel. I have tried out so many different pieces of electronics along the way with the speakers that it would make your head spin...thirty some odd amplifiers. 

So where I ended up was with a set of Holistic Audio Arts H1 omni's being driven by a 35-year old GAS Son of Ampzilla modified by Mike Bettinger at GAS Audio. The Son is driven by an Eastern Electric Avant tube preamp. The signal source is a Mac Mini with an Uptone Audio linear power supply. Amarra is the music player on the Mac. The sound is not so much of the highs this or that. It is more of a feeling, a connection, a deep involvement with the music where there isn't any hype or buy-in to someone else's opinion.

If you are looking to spend that kind of long green, take a listen to some well designed omnidirectional speakers. There aren't that many of them around. But when you listen you will understand what a natural sound they can convey over that of other speakers...and you don't need premium electronics to make it happen.

As a bonus you can have many listeners enjoy the stereo presentation without having to sit in the sweat spot. I have sat next to either speaker and have not heard the direct sound from the speaker itself, but that of a soundstage, that while maybe being skewed right or left, was still enjoyable while not feeling deprived because I was not sitting dead center. I am so totally done with this insane chase for the absolute sound.

For the money you are budgeting, the k out the MBL line of omnidirectional speakers. The reviews you will read echo my experience.