What tubes for ARC LS 5 preamp - 6922/6DJ8

Hi,

I'm a neophyte as far as tube rolling goes
I have an ARC LS 5 preamp which has 10 6922/6DJ8 tubes

I currently have the Soltek 6922 Russian tubes that Arc stocks in their units

can anyone recommend a tube or combinations of tubes to achieve warmth, transparency, tonal balance, richness etc.
(less transistor like - more musicality)

probably not looking at the ultra expensive, but the best bang for the buck a step or two above the stock solteks

also can anyone recommend an online vendor or audiogon member who sells quality tubes at reasonable rates

thanks a lot

Tom
128x128audiotomb

Showing 1 response by celery

WOW this thread is right up my alley.
I have owned an LS5 MK II for the last few years.
I recently had it at Great Northern Sounds for the Reference upgrade package. I also run it with Amperex white label 7308's. WOW WOW WOW
All the beautiful liquid accuaracy but no grain. Not a hint. The bass is meaningful and fast. Soundstage is accurate and detailed. WOW WOW WOW

Steve Huntley is a very nice man to boot. He has a great ear and listens to good music. I saw his shop first hand and would recommend him most highly. The LS 5MK II deserves to have this upgrade done to it. It is already a classic and this modification lowers the noise floor and tweaks an already advanced platform. It is world class all over again. No fatique but not mushy. The 7308's are a must for this pre. It sucks to have to come up with 10 NOS tubes at retube time but the sound is worth the insanity.
The telefunkens sound quite good too. Happy hunting.