What's the use of 20 and 24 bit DACs with CDs?

Many standalone players and modern DACs are now using 20 and 24 bit DACs. Is there a significant advantage to doing so with a 16 bit recording? Are these players and DACs doing upsampling on the original 16 bit signal to take advantage of the DAC or are we just looking at extra bandwidth that is being squandered for the sake of advertising? To me, the extra bandwidth doesn't seem to be merited unless there is upsampling or HDCD involved. Opinions?
cjcerny

Showing 1 response by scubadaddy123

I've owned the ARC DAC 2, then changed and used the Perpetual Technologies P-1A, P-3A combination and it sounded much more open and revealing. I had Dan Wright do a level I modification to the P-3A and I felt it was truly worth the money. I've since sold them to purchase and try other DACs. I then purchased an EVS M-2 (which was nice, but not as nice at the Perpetual gear. Ric was nice enough to allow me to return it (great person). Recently I've purchased the new Kora Hermes 24/192. It is a tube DAC and I've replaced the 2 tubes with the Seimens NOS E88CCA pair and the sound is as wonderfully transparent and anything I've tried to date. I know that many new digital formats are right around the corner, but until the industry cuts us audiophile a break and settles on one format (which will never happen), I think I've found my DAC.....

But like everything....that's just my opinion!

Good luck in your search.