WHAT'S THE BEST SOLID STATE PREAMP FOR $3000 ??

I'm looking to upgrade my krell kav-280p preamp. Wondering what's a good solid state preamp that I can pick up used for $3000. Thanks for your input!! My system consists of the following:

Pass X-250.5 amp
BPT 2.5 sig power conditioner
Esoteric X-03SE cd player
Totem Forest speakers
Custom silver audiopath cables
roor

Showing 1 response by aljordan

I am running a Pass X250.5. After trying all sorts of preamps, I wound up purchasing an H2O Audio Fire, but I've actually never seen one up for sale used. I have a Pass XP-10 coming next week, which are sometimes available for around 3k. I can let you know how it compairs once I get it in the system.

I wonder how many people who are recommending passives have actually tried them with the X250.5. I wasn't too happy with the results when I tried a passive.

The H2O Fire will allow a firm grip on the bass but will remain very transparent (in a musical way) overall. It has less glare in the upper mids and treble than the Audio Research LS-26, but retains a fuller midrange than any other solid state preamp I've tried.

It appears you are only considering solid state. The Cary SLP-05 also sounds great with the X250.5, but is a little rolled off comparitively in the lowest bass.

Alan