What's going on with the audio market?

Recent retail sales reports are very bad and I am hearing that sales for audio equipment have been nonexistent over the past few months.  I also see more dealers putting items up for sale here and on other outlets.  Even items that have traditionally sold quickly here are expiring without being sold. 

To what would you attribute the slowdown?  Have you changed your buying habits for audio equipment and, if so, why? 
theothergreg
bdp24,

I do agree with you that the demise of our country on many levels is indeed sad and alarming.  Education and social skills are at the top of the list.
Post removed 
Hi all

Interesting Thread going on here. Was asking me the same questions... in '14 I've sold my Audio Physic Avanti 5 (ex demo in a bad shape) for about the purchase price. Note: I was the official first owner and had put on some 3 years of listening by then. All this within a week of offering in one single marketplace. With the money recieved I've then bought me the upgraded version of the same speaker in as new condition (!)

One year later I was thinking about getting new speakers. So I've tried to sell the upgraded avantis, still in perfect shape, for 80% of my purchase price (25 - 30% of their new price... as i've got them cheap) and had NO f...ing offer for 6 months, despite offering them all around europe on 3 platforms. So, there are definitely some strange things going on! End of the story: Kept my speakers and upgraded them instead of loosing money.

My dealer seems to struggle to, he is selling some watt puppy 5,1s for 1$ starting bid.

Which leads me to my numbers. I am 35 now, was 17 when i've bought my first serious system. Selling/Buying better stuff never ended  since then, but it shure will end right now. For one simple reason: The people don't seem to rekognize the value of serious, well selected and combined high end no more. Considering the catalogue price of my gear (all bought 2nd hand) my system is a steal, and never fails to impress me and every serious listerner. But if you start talking about prices, they look at you as if you where taking drugs. Knowing what I own, I am not willing to put my stuff on market again. Maybe one day a friend or a not yet born son will inheritate it all.
Very stagnant economy the past 10 years with a feeble recovery. Middle class income wages diminishing, true unemployment rate is high. Look at the Labor Dept statistics u6=the full picture, u3 of 5% is misleading and incomplete. Our economy needs a major boost and approach. Many people lack discretionary income. National debt has ballooned from 9 trillion to 19 trillion in only 8 years, not good.
. Charles pretty much hit the nail on the head. This "hobby" is a luxury for most, not a necessity. Most people do not have discretionary money to spend on non necessities due to the lousy economy which grew at less than 1% last quarter. And frankly, in order to get a satisfying result one most spend a pretty big penny. My 2 cents.
Changes in listening habits, formats etc.. You have to replace the older audiophiles with new ones eventually and the price of some of this gear is crazy. I just want to enjoy the music and not obsess over it. Streaming, high prices, less real musicians,less discretionary income declining two channel market is killing the hobby