What preamp should I buy ?

I am looking under $1000 used.
My gear is
Rogue Magnum M120's
VPI hw19 jr TT w/ grado sonata
Graham Slee era gold phono stage
Vandersteen 2c's
Listen to 60's and 70's rock.
I have been using tubes in a pre for a while. I am considering SS.
Need help. Thanks, Scott
scottht

Showing 2 responses by eagleman6722

Scott,

I know that I already responded to you but, look seriously at the Tube Audio Design 150. I listen to 70-04 rock on my Adcom 600 and good recordings like Eagles, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac and others sound really good through Vandersteen's. I also have the 2Cesignatures. I also suggest the power cord that Paul gryzbeck sells with the TAD-150. I have compared fie other preamps including the ARC SP 9 MK 2 with Amperex tubes and the TAD 150 beats them all. I have not heard the Sonic Frontiers or the Audible illusions but, you can pick up a brand new TAD-150 with warranty for $700. My setup is so transparent on some recordings its scary....

Eagleman
Scott,

Read the reviews here on audiogon. Also, Paul modifies these preamps once they hit the states. Buy what your instincts tell you but, as a fellow Vandersteen owner I am just letting you know that this particular preamp is a good match. Also, Paul does offer an in home trial. Contact him for specifics. As far as Chinese components there are several companies offering very fine quality for your$$$. Remember that labor is quite a bit cheaper over there and this could translate into more bang for the buck.... If you are listening to 60 and 70's rock, you need the Pre to be able to separate the music so that it doesn't sound compressed. The TAD-150 has a huge 3D soundstage. Curious to see what your final decision is.

Eagleman