What preamp goes with sim audio w-5?

Just got a sim w-5 power amp and am using a woo audio preamp to drive merlin vsm speakers. What preamp would go well with this power amp. I recently started listening to vinyl and mainly listen to opera. thanks
pedrillo

Showing 1 response by steveltt149b2

Gents,

I just completed the break-in period for the Sim W-3. Initially I was disappointed. Everything sounded harsh
and overly bright. After a month of use, I moved my speaker closer together and the dfetail just popped. I will agree, that the Sims show every flaw in the recording process. You actaully hear it all. Once I had an opportunity to listen carefully and think about it, it made sense. That is the point of the listening. I played a variety of music; classical, jazz, live recordings, etc.

Truth be told, I heard the recording not the equipment colored it, but as it ewas recorded. There was NO coloration. Which is why I love this maddening hobby. Again, it will come down to personal taste and preferences.

I am using the Conrad-johnson Pre-Amp 14PVLS(tubed to balance the SS), B&W Nautilus 805, Kimber Silver Streak, Analsys Plus Oval 9 interconnect. of course I realize that this can most definitely be improved upon (at a later date). But for the moment, i amgettingt e staging, detail and full effect of the recording and its flaws. The major flaws have to d9o with my speakers and the cable used with them. That I will deal with later.

Yes, I like the CJ with it. My suggestion is take the W-3 with you and listen to it with Pre-Amps at a good dealer. A great dealer will loan a unit overnight.

Good luck.

Steve