What are the best modified FM tuners of 2005?

1. Nikko Gamma Five, simply amazing: great stereo, adjacent-channel reception, very realistic sound.
2. Sony STS730ES, only a hair less refined than above.
3. Luxman T-02, as sensitive as any tuner encountered, great selectivity, and sweet sound, better than a T-9090II.
Tied with Accuphase T-101 -- hard to imagine a better tuner
4. Mac MR-74, just glorious, full-bodied sound although not as selective and sensitive as above.
5. NEC-710, throw away the CD player: it sounds better, very sensitive but a little noisy on weak stereo signals
6. Quad FM3, with an IF filter change, very selective but has poor sensitivity. Very low distortion and stereo separation as good as it gets. For the city dweller.
7. Fisher FM2421, a real sleeper and could very well serve as a FM station's air monitor.
8. Kenwood KT-5500 This cheap tuner with an added IF filter and better audio output caps does not deserve to sound that good for so little.
9. Tube version of MD-90 With IF filter changes and changing two resistors in the tube output stage, this tuner has amazingly good detailed sound -- stock, gritty.
10. Marantz 2120 The bass is deep and tight, and the blue lights are pretty
bdscott

Showing 1 response by jax2

I like my HH Scott 350B from around 1962, recently retubed and adjusted by a friend in the biz who owed me a favor. Damn, never heard the radio sound so good! My wife was in the shower when I turned it on recently and was alarmed when she opened the door to find that I'd let company upstairs. I'd just turned on the radio! That early version of Multiplex really locks in hard to local stations. Vocals are superb. I need a better antenna now as the little RatShack T-antenna doesn't pull in much. Not overly expensive either, though not sure what a service/adjustment would run. Retubing is about $60 for mostly obscure NOS stuff. I guess the later Multiplex circuits were a bit of a PITA to work on and adjust. My friend said this early version was much easier to work with, and he really liked the sound of it too when he was done.

Marco