What are the best GaN Amplifiers available today?

There have been a number of threads discussing the wonder of GaN and some of the individual amplifiers that have caught peoples attention, including those from AGD, Atma-Sphere, Peachtree, LSA, etc. Has anyone done a shootout against two or more GaN amps? If so, which did you prefer, and why? And on what speakers?

Also, of the one you preferred, do you prefer it over every other amplifier you’ve ever heard? If not, what non-GaN amp do you enjoy more?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xblisshifi

I got the $800 Schitt Aegir 20-watt Class A amp this afternoon. I am listening to it via my Benchmark LA4 preamp and Benchmark DAC3B. The GAN400 used to be in place of the Aegir. The amp is connected to the RAAL TI-1b interface box. I am using the RAAL SR1a phone into the TI-1b.

When I had the GAN400 in the path, I had a hum with 16 Ohm setting on the interface box using RCA inputs. The hum was was lowered wit the 32 Ohm setting (or maybe the other way around). When using XLR inputs into the TI-1b the hum went away, but I need to use RCA out from the LA4 since the XLR go to the MagTech amp & LRS+.

I had no hum issue with the Aegir and RCA. I have not tested XLR with the Aegir since I would need 2 Aegir’s to do that.

Cut to the chase. The sound difference between the GAN400 and the Aegir was rather big. The Aegir is warmer, just as detailed, juicer and much like the CODA #16 and the TI-1b. Incredible for $800.

The GAN400 is a flatter sound and while very good with the SR1a, it is not at the same level as the Aegir.

I need to decide if I am going to keep the GAN400. I do not like having extra gear around. If I sell it it will be for $1200.

For $4000 or less you can have a whole DAC/volume control/amp/speaker/wires system that will be in a whole nuther level way above a stock inexpensive magneplanar driven by very good DAC and Preamp and amp.

Minidsp Flex $500, Fossi amp for bass $100, Aegir for highs $800, 4 12 inch Beyma 12BR70 woofs $700, 8 Parts Express Planar 8 inch drivers $500, wood $300, cables $1000. You could just use 2 planars and spend less.

Open baffle about 5 feet high and 16 inches wide (way less high if only using one planar).....at least doubled up three quarter inch birch ply.

The Minidsp does the xover, the DACing, the volume control (remote control with presets) and even has an analog input to add tuner, phono stage or whatever.

With fully equalized and time aligned open baffle woofers and planars (crossed over around 400hz). the sound would blow your mind. The two woofers run in parallel would be around 95db sensitive and the four planars in series parallel would be the same.....easy to drive.....will play 110db......ROCK OUT!

Why would anyone want a veiled Magnepan that needs a $4000 amp to drive it properly? Yes, it is smaller......but if you really wanted small you could mount two Purifi woofs in a slim box and put the planar on an open baffle above....still worlds better than a magnepan.

Of course, you could do the above with a Minidsp Flex (digital version).....and use two modified GaN based digital amps (GaN 1 or VTV D300). This would be more costly.

I totally get that most do not want to build anything......just want plug and play. But this is sooooooooooo simple. You could have a local woodworker make the baffles and stands really quickly.......finish them anyway you like. If you went blind into a room at a show and someone played this system.....you would guess it would be $100K or more........Of course, you could take an ET 8b speaker and tweak it to the hilt and get rid of its woofer and add an open baffle next to it with two 12s that was separately amped and eqed and probably get even better sound (better planars). But this is cheaper and easier to do and the planars are much more efficient.

The latest Minidsp units are really great......for those measurement people, here is a review on ASR

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex-review-audio-dsp.30804/

There is fairly good discussion on Audiophile style, top contenders mentioned 

were Boxem and Apollon. Besides build quality, input circuit design was mentioned

as critical

Post removed 

For reasons so obvious they don't bear mentioning, Ralph has earned credibility with his products over decades. The endless essay writing challenging Ralph in seemingly every class D thread is tiresome, and I simply read all the atmasphere posts so I can learn about this technology, skip all the posturing, and try and see if any on-topic posts might be spotted among the dross.