What 300B tubes are you using in your VAC amps?

Hello.....I know Kevin Hayes voices his amps for the Golden dragon tubes. I am currently using Sophia carbon plate tubes in my 70/70 and like them very much. KH says they should perform fine. But I will have a pair of VAC 140's soon and I was wondering what others are using and why.....also I have Brimar CV1988's for drivers.
wavetrader

Showing 2 responses by bronal

I have a 70/70 MkII which I run with Sophia Carbon Plates.

To be honest I find them a bit of a disappointment - rather flat and lifeless (6SN7s are all genuine Russian milspecs - the ones with metal bases and 'OTH' on them).

The current consensus here in Australia is the the TJ Full Music Mesh Plates are the best all-round 300Bs at a non-insane price. BTW you can get GDs from Evatco (www.evatco.com.au).

One more thing - the VACs in unmodified form drive 300Bs VERY hard. I've had mine detuned to ~50 wpc. That's why I chose the Sophias in the first place. They are very ruggedly built.

Cheers

Alan
Wavetrader, I don't think 'detuning' has affected its performance. It's still delivering 50 wpc, which is very reasonable for two pairs of 300Bs.

The CPs are getting better, but it's a slow process if. like me, you don't listen for three to four hours every night.

I live in Canberra, Australia, so having factory mods done is out of the question freight wise, plus I think VAC's charges are OTT as well. Fortunately we have a valve genius here who's been able to trace the circuit and tidy things up at the same time.

Cheers

Alan