Watt Puppy 7 with Pass X250.5?

Has anyone tried or heard this combination before? I'm considering buying a pair of 7's to upgrade from my VR4jr's. Would I be as happy with the low end response as I am now with the Jr's? I'm looking for a wider deeper soundstage with a nice low end.
spenceroo

Showing 4 responses by rlawry

I have had Sophias and WP7's, and IMO they both work better with big solid-state amps, although tube amps have their charms in the soundstaging and warmth departments. I have some big Essence amps driving my WP7's and the bass and dynamics are terrific. And yes, Audiooracle, we are getting tired of your hijacking posts to tout your crap Chinese speakers. Funny how these telemarketer types always claim their cheesy speakers beat Wilsons. What a joke.
Spenceroo, I don't think my WP7's are too lean with Essence amps and CAT Ultimate preamp, although I don't think they will ever be confused with a rich, warm sound. I was surprised at how transparent and big-sounding they are. If you want more warmth I would go with tubes, although you will give up some of the cavernous bass they are famous for. I haven't heard Pass electronics but one of my Essence amps is biased heavily into Class A and they do produce a warmer, fuller, more 3-dimensional sound than my other Essence amp that runs more in Class AB. If you are looking for a huge soundstage, the WP7's have the best I have heard. Audiooracle, notwithstanding how your Taiwanese (Taiwan is off the coast of China, no?) speakers sound, what irritates me most is your rudely forcing yourself into threads and trying to make a buck. The original poster was asking how WP7's would sound with Pass amps. I don't think he nor anyone else was asking for a put-down of Wilson speakers, who are an easy target because of their prime market position, something Usher never will have. Obviously this is too high a concept for you to understand. BTW, ever notice how many speakers have copied the WP design? You are trying to horn in on a market advanced by Wilson and other top high-end companies whose innovations built the business.
Aintitgr8, if we take your response for what it is, I cannot disagree more with your statement that Audiooracle is acting as a benevolent member that only has the original poster's best interest in mind when he disrespects one product to tout another, that, get this, he sells. This is unadulterated BS and you and Audiooracle know it. He had one thing in mind--his pocketbook. If this type of thread hijacking is allowed to proliferate there will be no more discussions and only sales pitches. I cannot believe the moderators allow this self-serving thread hijacking to go on here. I don't take it personally that someone puts down a product that I and others have voted for with their pocketbooks (and speakers' sounds are all subjective, aren't they, although I have yet to hear Wilson products that don't completely blow me away with their sonics), but that someone is desperate enough to put down another product to sell their own. Fortunately there are many fine dealers on Audiogon who don' t resort to these low-down and mean tactics. And don't forget that Wilson is an Audiogon sponsor.
Audiooracle, I do not have a beef with those who don't like Wilson products. There is no arguing in matters of taste. You have as usual completely missed my point. What I get tired of is sellers who bash the competition in an attempt to sell their products, especially those who offer "advice" unsolicited. I am sure you want to play with the big boys. I have been in techical sales for more than 20 years and never have resorted to downgrading my competition, but I can tell you that you only look ignorant when you claim that Wilson changes a tweeter and overcharges so that he can buy a Ferrari. Obviously you don't understand the costs of R&D. So far as I am aware, Usher nor most other companies have advanced the state of the art such as Wilson, Vandersteen, Audio Research, Linn, and others have done. There is a reason Wilson sells thousands of very expensive speakers a year. Spenceroo, I regret that your innocuous thread has been transformed into something you didn't want. Good luck and enjoy the WP7's or whatever you decide.