Want McIntosh sound, but can't afford the MDA1000?

After many years of trying other brands I returned to McIntosh and really happy I did. I mainly listen to LP's, but have a serious collection of CD. Given the advances in digital streaming I decided to purchase a Logitech Duet and stream music from my computer. As good as the Duet is, it left me wishing for something better and thereby my adventure into DAC's. After trying several of the models out there, and reading many reviews I wanted the McIntosh MDA1000. However, given the economic environment I really did not think $8K for a DAC was the right thing to do, at least for now. I noticed McIntosh produces the MDA5000 DAC for car audio and wondered how would it sound on a home system in combination with a duet. I decided I wanted to try it and purchased a new MDA5000 plus an AC/DC transformer. At just over $1K is one of the best investments I have ever made. The MDA5000 is really a great DAC and betters the sound coming from the Duet over all the others I tried. I cannot tell you, and would not expect it to sound as good as the MDA1000. But for the investment it is truely a bargain. Sure McIntosh will consider increasing the price once this gets out there. If you like the McIntosh sound and have been regreting not having an MDA1000, try this one and you will be surprised.
dserran

Showing 1 response by dongyang

Me too.... agree Dserran what he shared regarding MDA5000. Yes, MDA5000 may over kill many2 DAC around in market. I would like suggest better listen it before give any comments (before you listen to MDA5000 )I own Mcintosh car system & home system.(MCD7009,MDA5000, C46, MC7300 / MCC602TM ) Small investment what Dserran said...U won't regret with the performance.