Wadia 121

Has anyone here had a chance to listen to the new Wadia 121 DAC? It looks very interesting but I would like to hear some opinions on it's performance. I'm assuming some magazine reviews will be out soon.
Cheers
128x128snackeyp

Showing 2 responses by angelus1969

I had mine for about 2 weeks now and it sounds amazing. Compared it to several other DACs, both somewhat cheaper and in the same range. Although the W4S was also very good, the Wadia has a soundsignature which best matches my taste.

I did, however, have some problems with my unit. One particular problem is that after some changing of the inputs, the soundvolume is fixed, and at a pretty high level at that. Another problem is that after some use, the volume is just 'gone'. The headphone output is _way_ too high. But my dealer came through and is sending me a new one. Apparently Wadia is aware of (some of) these problems and an upgrade is available. It consists of a new firmware, but also some new hardware as I understand it.
> Nothing burns me more than when an unfinished product
> is put out to the public. A new, just released dac
> shouldn't need new firmware or new parts to make it
> work the way it should, Simply no excuse for this.

I'm also soo not happy. Especially since the new unit shows the exact same problems. Now the dutch representative for Wadia claims that the problem lies with my sources.... ????? I connected the same sources to different DACs and no problem. There is a Arcam D33 now on loan, no problem (but too expensive). It not really like the 121 is new... They've been at this thing since 2009.