VTL ST-150 w/ B&W

Not looking to hear thoughts on sonics (although feel free) as much as I am interested to hear what Tube people think about this combination with a 805s or 804s. I have had tubes with SS for a while, and now that I have the taste I want it all, from top to bottom I want tubes.

Just worried about inefficiency of a speaker, although the newer B&W's are rated at 90db, although they like to hang out in the 4ohm range alot.

Any thought would be much appreciated.
jc51373

Showing 3 responses by dennis_the_menace

should have no problem driving your speakers. whether you like them or not, that depends on your tastes. the vtl controls the low end nicely for a tube amp and has a lot of balls. the high end might be a little closed in, and overall isn't as refined as i've heard, but i loved the midrange, which was a little more forward and prominent, which is nice for most vocal music.
i've owned both the it 85 and the st 150. the 150 is undoubtedly better, especially in triode. you'll have enough power, and the midrange is definitely it's strength. that, and the overall amp's jump and excitement factor. definitely a great value.
bass w/ VTLs is usually a strong point, at least for tube amps. they definitely have "drive". i think their weak points are in transparency and dynamics, but these improve a lot as you move up the line.