Vpi Classic motor lubrication

Hi all,
Does anyone have experience lubricating the motor on a Classic? The vpi instructions are somewhat unclear: "Place a drop of 40-weight oil just below the brass piece." Which brass piece?

Also, I guess this means car motor oil...but how to apply? Wouldn't using a needle-point oiler be more precise?

Any help appreciated!

Thank you.
dordevic

Showing 1 response by swanny76109

Yes, just get standard 40 wt motor oil from the car parts store. It's not easy to find--I had to go a few places til I found it. Most carry 10W30, 10W40, etc. I went for true 40--it's pretty thick.

Then I got a plunger type thing from the Ace hardware that allows you to suck up the oil and then hold it in the syringe part. I labeled it with a sharpie "VPI Classic motor oil" and put a drop right at the area where the spindle (below) meets the pulley (above), while the motor is spinning and the belt is attached, to keep the speed where it should be in use. I have a brass bushing at the bottom of the pulley where the spindle meets (I have the first edition with the squared corners), so that's about where I put it. Maybe the newest versions have changed a bit. I think you'll figure it out.

You only need one drop and then after the pulley spins a bit, you'll see some microdroplets splattered around the table area, so be prepared to wipe them up over the next week. Good luck!