VPI Aries - either or question, please comment

I have a credit and can buy either option 1 or option 2. Any help?

Thanks in advance.

OPTION 1:

- VPI Aries turntable w/ JMW10" arm (~$3,700)

OPTION 2:

- VPI Aries turntable w/ JMW9" arm (~$2,600)
- VPI SDS (synchronous Drive System) for speed accuracy (~$1,000)
- $100 for the extra cables needed.

I guess the question is simply, how good is the 10" arm and would the 9" arm paired with the SDS better it?

Thanks!!
kublakhan
SOME Clarity now...

I got off with a dealer (no jokes please it's before 11) and the photos i keep lookikng at for the VPI Aries are incorrect. The older version of the Aries came with a black platter that looked a bit like the tnt platter. This platter is no longer made for the Aries. Now, instead, an acrylic clear platter is made for the Aries (looking a bit like the platter on the scout.)

To complicate matters further: There is the black night aries which is the new Aries table but with the 9" arm and the SAME acrylic platter as the new Aries HOWEVER it is black. I wasn't able to get an answer yet if a new Aries with the 10" arm could be ordered with the BLACK acrylic platter from the black night. (Personally I like the black acrylic look better.)

The major confusion seems to be this: Many photos in catalogues show the OLD Aries with a black platter that looks a bit like the TNT platter. This platter has been discontinued. I like the looks of that platter better than the new acrylic one but the acrylic platter is supposed to be much improved hence the discontinuation of the old one.

I'm-a-bout-to-throw-UP!

anyway, i'm getting 'chatter' that the 9" arm is often prefered for rock and the longer arms for jazz. Opera and classical i don't know about but i assume it would follow the rule of jazz vs rock and therefore the longer the better but that's a guess.

MORE NEWS: If you hate the idea of the acrylic platter look you can add the TNT platter which looks more like the old Aries platter and costs an additional $800.

hope i'm right about all that and hope it helps other lost souls.

please correct me if i'm wrong somewhere up there.
Semi, the HR-X uses two 24 pole motors, which are 7 degrees offset from each other. It takes a lot of torque to spin the flywheel as well as the platter with the perimeter clamp. To use a smaller motor doesn't make sense with all that mass.
The Aries 2 and the Black Knight share the same chassis, motor and main bearing, the difference is in the platter. the BK uses a standard 11.56" diameter platter of black acrylic, 1.75" thick. The Aries 2 uses a 12.25" diameter platter of clear acrylic 1.75" thick and can use the HR-X periphery ring clamp. If you buy a BK you can switch to the larger clear platter at a later date, the bearings are the same.

The BK has special pricing and incorporates the JMW-9 arm as a package. It is considered the logical step up from the Scout and we refer to it as a Scout with a testosterone shot. If you enjoy the sound of the Scout the BK sounds the same but is smoother, more powerful, and is quieter.

BTW, I had a really enjoyable Sunday with the NJAS folk, a great bunch of audiophiles/music lovers. Now that I know the system I would love to come back at a later date with a cartridge that was more compatible than the Tae Katora, possibly something like the XX-2 or the Black Beauty, or the new Audio Techne. Thanks again for your kindness.
Jonmatd,

Thanks for clearing up some of the confusion over the different Aries versions and the different platters and bearings.

As you can probably tell from my posts, I really enjoyed Sunday's meeting too. Possibly the Tae Katora was a little plump or romantic sounding for Vinh's Vandersteens, but it wasn't too far off the mark for my taste.

Certainly I'd be up for another meeting and would love to hear those 15 ips master tapes you spoke of - especially if you have any of the vinyl versions to compare them to.

I hope your allergies have calmed down a bit. Have a nice holiday in spite of the weather. I believe I'll be in Somerville on Memorial Day, watching the bike races in the rain. :)
Hi,

Question about the Black Knight. I hope you won't be offended by my question, but when I heard the Scout recently, it seemed to have more drive/pace/rhythm than VPIs I've heard in the past. (I admit I'm basically an Anglo-phile when it comes to stereo, although I also appreciate the greater dynamics/LF response/fullness decks like the VPI can do.) Is the Black Knight similar to the Scout in regard to pace/rhythm etc., IYO? thanks,

Terry