Vinyl***What If***

Hypothetical here:
My new incoming Cayin integrated has a built in MM stage..IF I convinced myself I wanted to try vinyl & knowing absolutely nothing about set up,care etc..& do NOT like to constantly fiddle recommend me a complete,bare minimum setup...
Speakers are Harbeth M30.1 & cables are Nordost Lief Series Red Dawn...Thanks much..
freediver
Another + to Bill. While not as committed as you Bill your last sentence sums it up nicely for those that grew up with records and love analog sound.  I like the sailboat analogy as well, latch on to a vinyl freak and bang the drum slowly, no need to rush into it.

PS My vinyl rig is clearly better than my digital to everyone that listens but would the differences be enough for most in your situation to start from scratch? It will require a greater committment than 300.00.  
@inna- no doubt on tape. The problem is source material and cost. I'm in it for more music, not necessarily always the 'tippy top' best at this point, so I guess I lose a few rank privileges on my audiophile badge. So be it. 
I'm getting past the point of acquisitiveness, partly because I'm past my big earning years and partly because --while not exactly complacent- I've got other things I want to spend my money on than gear (or crazy priced records). But, alas, that siren call....
My philosophy (not that you asked): if it isn't fun, stop doing it! 
:)
Bought an old Aragon pre-amp (with phono stage) for about £350 a few years ago, and more recently upgraded my Rega TT with an old Nottingham Analogue Interspace that came with an RB300 arm on eBay for £400. Added a Goldring 1042 cartridge on special offer at £230.
The Knosti anti-stat cleaner was about £60 and does a perfect job - you don’t need to spend a fortune on record cleaners.
Other components bought for digital (speakers and power amps) cost a lot more than this, so I know what sounds good, and this pre-loved vinyl set-up sounds awesome and cost £1k ($1.3k).
But then comes the vinyl...
That’s where the money can go...
But vinyl is always my first choice media now.
Yeah, tape is very tough. I would want mostly but not exclusively what in fact was never released, but there are recordings, I know that. Concerts by certain artists. But I will get reel-to-reel deck soon enough anyway, I will listen to compilations recorded off the vinyl I have and whatever master tape dubs I can get. Good for me that I am quite selective and don't need many tapes or records. I only listen what I like best.
As far as upgrades, I do it rarely but when I do it I try to jump as high as I can. Sure, there are other things to spend money on too or simply save it just in case.
Do i think there are good values out there to get magic or near magic?  Sure - in vintage TTs.  An old AR XA, with the bearing replaced and a universal arm mount machined onto it (there are lots), can be very high quality. Old arms, can be had sorta cheap, but the cheapest are (duh) the fiddly ones.   I have a Syrinx. Awesome. Impossible.  The market speaks.
Another great old table is a Logic DM101. better IMO than a Linn LP12.  But you need a good arm for it.  or, get a bargain basement Linn.  Find a dealer with a used complete setup (TT, arm, cart) for say $1000.  They exist, i bought one as a backup. I have no idea if you feel that is affordable, but for an excellent table, arm and MC cartridge, its pretty cheap.
I hear Schiit plan to introduce a "turnkey" table too, with a uni-pivot arm.  Mike knows his stuff. Company can be a little hard to deal with, but hey.
Now, might you find a freind with such a beast stored in the attic that he/she might loan to you so you can find out for yourself?  Of buy a well-sorted system that you can sell for what you paid if you decide its not worth it.
But, especially if you have a closetful of records, and a decent system, you will find that it is.