Vinyl collection, now what?

Hey folks,

Just inherited a really interesting collection of records from my audiophile crazy uncle.
Lots of master and super master pressings, a complete Time Life Records collection, Sheffield track records, etc.

I have never owned a turntable and know very little about them.

Does anyone have experience digitizing tracks to file using a USB turntable?
Any recommendations for or against?
Am I looking at something potentially very expensive?
I haven't looked through everything but saw lots of albums I would like to digitize.

Thanks everyone!
hleeid
Hey cleeds, I know it's nit-picking but you posted;
I'm not familiar with that software and process, but I do agree that a carefully made digitized file is audibly indistinguishable from the original LP.
I'm sure you meant to type, a carefully made digitized file CAN BE indistinguishable from the original LP.  As any diehard turntable devotee knows there is always just a little more music/detail/resolution to be found in record grooves so absolutes are always dangerous.  Anyway, don't take this seriously, just having a bit of pedantic fun.
@ lalitk

Thanks, yes I really enjoy it and don't worry at all about what might be better.  Sounds like you are putting something special together.  The Shindo sounds intriguing, I often consider a tubed front end and would definitely look at that unit.  I have friends who love their Hana's and for now the price/value ratio is incredible.  I have used AT products for years and have always trusted them.  Kiseki is the one product you mentioned that I have no personal experience with but if reviews and comments are reliable their reputation is well deserved.  I would recommend checking the Soundsmith line but you can't trust me, I am very biased :)  If, however the Kiseki is a serious contender check the Zephyr Star.  The list price is less than the Blue, output is comparable to the 9 or Blue with bandwidth and separation at least equal to any of the others.  I have owned carts from Shure, Stanton, Empire, Grace, Fidelity Research, Grado (cheapos and Siggys), Otofon, Audio Technica, Dynavector (loved them all), Denon, Sumiko and Soundsmith plus whatever else I have forgotten. I have also listened to a host of other brands on friends and dealers systems.  I would love to have a brand new Grace F9e to try in my current rig for curiosity sake but as for the rest I would only bother if someone else set up the entire comparison against the Zephyr.

@hleeid,

The Bryston BP-26 preamp is what I have. I do not have an installed phono stage for it. I recently purchased the Bryston "1/3 chassis" BP2-MM moving magnet phono stage and have it tied in to my Bryston BPS-2 external power supply via a "y-connector". I was having hum from my Linn Sondek LP12 turntable until I found out that they didn't provide the Y connector which allows it to be noise free with the BP-26's external power supply.

As for the fidelity of the BP-26, I would say it represents solid state gear at its finest. Very low noise, excellent detail retrieval, excellent dynamics, etc... very transparent which foretells its ability to guide you on how to optimize the rest of your system (if this makes any sense). With the Bryston MM phono stage I am now experiencing resolution and sound quality with my vinyl collection that I never quite got to back in the day when I used to collect ECM jazz and prog rock and jazz fusion records. I chose to stick with moving magnet as a bit of a cost saving option since my phono stage retailed for $1,000 USD instead of $1800. My revamped Linn Sondek LP12 sounds better than I could have imagined and I now see how analog can be more delicate and musical than even very good digital.

@russashe - I have decided to take the plunge into vinyl and am considering a few tables.
Your post has helped me to solidify this decision.  It just makes sense to look for a decent turntable whether I end up digitizing or not.

So I am now looking into a 2 - 3k table.
My Bryston BP 26 does not have a phono board so will need to find a phono preamp also.