Vincent PHO 700 Phono Stage

Has anyone heard or have any experience with this phono stage. It uses one 12AU7 tube. I have not been able to find any reviews online.
Eric
ericsch

Showing 3 responses by kmarx

I own one, in silver (I’ve been going through this retro 70’s phase...). Listening to it right now. I pulled the stock Chinese tube and replaced it with a Tung-Sol. Come on, admit it, you love the way the words Tung-Sol roll off your tongue so...er...

...anyway...I had to remove 8 screws to open the case. I recommend leaving the screws out if you plan to roll different tubes. I don’t think the structural integrity will have a noticeable effect on sonics, but you can stay up late and worry about it if you want to.

The signature Vincent single glowing tube is accomplished by artificial light and mirrors. There was manufacturing dust near the tube socket, so I had to gently air brush it away, then wriggle the Chinese tube out, but without getting fingerprints on the concave mirrored cardboard reflector. Tedious.

I didn’t tap on it, but the tube window (or port hole) looks plastic. I noticed some Japanese parts.

According to the folks at Vincent, and from the best I can tell, they source their parts from China and assemble the Pho 700 in Germany, but beyond that, and a German looking audio website, there isn’t much transparency here, other than that window..er...port hole.

Hook-up was simple enough. It has the typical engineering inconveniences of most tube phono amps.

Audio Advisor sells these for $500 as does Amazon. I recommend the latter for their generous and easy 30 day return policy, (even longer during the holiday season). Well that, and I never recommend Audio Advisor for anything.

Paired with a cheap hybrid amp this overpriced duo surprised me. Much bigger 3D-ish sound stage, more detail to the mids, bass – and that’s with only a few hours on the tube, and nothing but Huckleberry Hound records so far.

It’s not worth $500 (I doubt Pro-Ject’s version is either), but if it was $300 I’d buy another one.

The silver version has a chrome port hole ring that I think looks nicer than the ring on the black model.

The only operational note is a maybe 30-45 second delay from power on to ready to play. I hear a small telltale click and it’s ready. Every tube stage I’ve owned has had a warmed up click before ready to play.

Yes yours was an oldie but since I'd just unboxed mine, I figured a review was due.

The Pho is a good stage, it's just the usual Chinese stage made to look German. Lamb dressed as mutton, if you will. There's not much on the web about it.

The PS Audio was a nice choice.