Vandersteen 2ci: what a pleasant surprise

Like a lot of you out there, I've been buying and selling, trying different stuff here and there. I don't really spend a lot of money on gear,and I almost exclusively buy in the used market. I find a lot of benefits in buying used high end products (lower price being the first obvious reason, and the list goes on). My last "venture" was trying out a pair of Vandersteen 2ci's, they're not even the ce model. I've always wanted to try a pair of Vandys but never got the chance to. It's funny since I've been into this hobby for a good 15 years now, and having gone through a multitude of speakers (Martin Logan, Heybrook - when they were still good, Apogee, Linn, Mirage, Totem, Epos, - when they were still good, Mission, PSB, Magnapan, Sonus Faber, Meadowlark, B&W, Gallo, and probably a few more) I have never owned a pair of Vandys. So much for the intro. I finally bought a used pair here at Audiogon and much to my surprise upon setting them up, they are pretty good. It's one of those things that just gels together I guess. Everything in my system matches very well to the fullest potential of these Vandys (EAD T1000/DSP7000mk3 combo - SFL-1 Signature - Sonographe SA250 with DH labs and Audioquest cabling). I didn't think I would be this much impressed since they are the older model Vandy 2 and I remember listening to a pair of the 2ce's at my brother's house and really wasn't that impressed, but man, I don't know if my 2ci's are just flukes - they trully sing!!! It's a great feeling when you buy something at a great price, not expecting a lot from it then - BANG - it blows you away!! Any other similar experiences anyone care to share out there???
gemini

Showing 1 response by synthgirl333

hi..i love my vandy 2ci's. however i just upgraded the rest of my equipment and everything seems to be thrown off. i now have audio research sp-10 preamp arc d-125 amp and my source is the shanling t-100 tube cd player. i don't have the original owners manual on the 2 ci's and they are on temporary cheap stands, 9 inches high until i can get the sound anchor stands for them. my listening room is 13' by 9.75, speakers are on the short wall. can anyone help me with how to place them? before the cheap stands i had them 4.5 ft from the back wall and 24 inches from the side walls. the highs were pronounced, the bass a bit lean, voices a tad bright...now...the voices are like velvet...but the rest seems off...seems to have lost the distinction of the highs and the bass is a bit too strong..me confused..can anyone help please??!! thanks in advance :)