Vac 200 IQ vs Ayon orthosII

My amp died and now I get to upgrade.  Looking at the Vac 200IQ which is made locally in Florida vs the Ayon orthos II.  Both seem to be popular and well respected companies.  I will have a chance to audition the Vac in Sarasota, but not the Ayons.  Any thoughts?
orthomead

Showing 4 responses by fischer3966

Compared to all other tube amps, I found the VAC 200 IQ to be the most balanced and have exceptional realism and punch when needed.  It may be that tubes are not your thing - especially if you're looking for a tighter and more pronounced bass, which is the hallmark of great solid state.  The other sonic qualities, I feel the VAC gives you and then some.  Trying different speaker taps on the back of the VAC (don't go by speaker specs but by trial and error) and rolling the KT150s are all good suggestions.  If the VAC doesn't then give you that bass punch you are looking for, I would definitely go solid state.  Don't think any other tube amp will give it to imho.  Keep us posted!
Keep us posted orthomead.  Due to some health reasons, I may be forced to sell my 200 IQ.  If you end up deciding on the VAC, feel free to message me.   The other thing to make sure when you demo the VAC with the KT150s is that they've been burned in for at least 50 hours minimum.  If you still don't feel the VAC doesn't do it, I would go solid state.    But in my listening experience, anymore MORE bass presence than the VAC will be a bit unnatural and emphasized too much over the midrange.   Balance has also been the focus in my search.   The other thing to keep in mind are the other gear you demo it with - cartridge, preamp, digital components...  Not sure that will have an impact but hard to isolate an amplifier in a demo from the rest of the system.  In store demos or show demos are impossible to isolate one component out unfortunately.  The down side of high end audio. 
Glad to hear your findings improved with the KT150s.  Keep us posted - I sadly have to part with my VAC due to personal finances.  It is truly a stunner - aesthetically and sonically.  At 100+ watts, I can't imagine a speaker that it cannot drive well.  Definitely seems like you're looking for the bass - the VAC plus the 150s will definitely give whatever you would need IMHO, plus a more beautiful midrange.    The other thing to consider is changing out the stock quad of the 6SN7 Tung Sol driver tubes to NOS tubes - some NOS Sylvania 6sn7 would show a much bigger improvement in bass and other characteristics than the KT88s to KT150s.   The 6sn7's are more sensitive to changes.  The opportunities are endless with the VAC and can fine tune it to your liking, as opposed to the PASS Labs.  Though PASS is still an excellent performer, not as flexible as the VAC.