Vac 200 IQ vs Ayon orthosII

My amp died and now I get to upgrade.  Looking at the Vac 200IQ which is made locally in Florida vs the Ayon orthos II.  Both seem to be popular and well respected companies.  I will have a chance to audition the Vac in Sarasota, but not the Ayons.  Any thoughts?
orthomead

Showing 4 responses by charles1dad

Jafant makes a very good point about particular music genre preferences. Electronica , Hip hop, pop and rock, actually any music emphasizing electronic bass may with certain speakers be better served with high current transistor amplifiers.

Ideally a comparison of the Ayon Ortho, ARC REF 250 and the big Pass Labs amplifier driving the Vandersteen Quattro would effectively sort this out. I’m generally speaking a tube guy but in some circumstances solid state is the better suited option. Sometimes SS amps with low output impedance (thus higher damping factor) are the solution. This can be manipulated by altering the amount of NFB (negative feedback) in the circuit. Increasing the level of NFB  will decrease the output impedance of the amplifier. 
Charles

Hi orthomead,

What speakers were in use with this audition? This can make a significant difference (some speakers are designed for solid state amplifier use). I hope you are able to hear the Ayon amplifier.  I'm glad you made the effort to travel to hear the VAC. You are doing this the right way, nothing beats listening and trusting your ears.

Best of luck,

Charles

I don't agree with statements like "no contest"  this type of hyperbole is gratuitous and really serves no meaningful benefit. 
No doubt that you'll have admirers of both amplifiers and happy owners. These are expensive products and should be heard in person in order to make a realistic assessment of their merits. I don't believe that one will "blow away" the other.  I do believe that with direct listening the opportunity exists to discern sonic characteristics that can result in an informed decision. 
Charles 
Given the price range of these two amplifiers I'd make every reasonable effort to hear both even if it requires traveling.  VAC is very popular and well respected yet you may find that the Ayon sounds better to you, listening is a must. 
Charles