used SET amp under $1500 suggestion

As stated in another thread, I have problem of having too much gain in my system. I am considering buying a SET amp to drive a pair of Zu omen definition, and looking for suggestion. I have too options:

1) keeping my PrimaLuna Prologue 3 preamp and buy a SET power amp or mono block. I like the PrimaLuna sound, so, I prefer to keep it. However, in this case, my budge is under $1500. To work with the PrimaLuna, I need an amp with input impedance > 100k Ohm. And the PrimaLuna has a gain of 12 dB. My current McCormack has 30dB gain which is too loud. So .. likely, I prefer something not exceeding 20dB gain?

2) sell the PrimaLuan preamp, and replaced with an integrated SET amp. I prefer option 1 because I don't know if I will like the sound of the integrated. But if I get an integrated, my budget increase to $2500, and it seems it open up more choices.

I read the 6moons and other review, it seems the Almarro and Yamamoto are 2 highly recommended SET choices, but they are both quite expensive. Is there any other choices? Thanks in advance.
gte357s

Showing 3 responses by gte357s

I am doing some research and come across a designer name Don Allen. It seems his SET amps are highly praised. But I try google and can't find his business nor any link to his product. Is there anyone who has his web site? Or a way to contact him?

Thanks
Yes, I think the McCormack sounds very good. However, I don't have others to compare to. The only problem is the gain. When I have to keep the volume low, it doesn't sound good. But when I turn it up a bit at about 9 o'clock, it sounds very good IMO. So, I don't really know if I should change it. It seems most of the SS amp has very high gain. For example, some ppl recommend the red wine audio sig 30.2. I did a calculation, it has aboutn 30dB gain as well. The Pass XA 30.5 has 26dB. It seems the only way to have lower gain is to with the SET.
I spot a Cary / AES SE-1 300B with 7 watt on local craigslist for $800. Do you think it will be a good match with the Omen Defn? Does anyone has experience with this unit? It has no negative feed back and the output impedance is 3.2 Ohm. The comment from the review says high output impedance results in lack of bass "tightness". Any comment on this?

Thanks