Used Rowland 302 or H2O Signatures CD Direct

I am looking for an amp to run a pair of Magnepan 20.1 speakers. I have heard great things about the H2O Signature Amps. My main concern is I have no preamp and don't plan on using one. I am using an Audio Aero CD Player directly. So the question is does the H2O amp require an active preamp? If so then would I be better served grabbing a used Rowland 302? Also I have read that the H2O requires a shielded Power cord. Does the unit come with one or would I have to buy one?

Thanks for your help...
muslover

Showing 5 responses by muralman1

All class D amps, including Rowland amps, would benefit from shielded cables. I bought Shunyata Snakebites, for the amps. For my other components, I made up some cords using 12 GA Belden cord in bulk. I think, with plugs, that all came to about $30 per cord. I first ran my H2O's with ordinary cords. It was the best sound I had ever heard. Adding shielded cables just made it better.

Why some people think a preamp degrades sound? If I had been running my previous amps, Pass X600 monos, direct, I still would not go back. I am using a used Adcom 750, soon to be upgraded.

The H2O can be run direct. I heard a prototype pared with a Wadia, and the sound was great. Still, I wonder what it would have sounded like with a strong preamp in the mix.

Oh yes, H2Os are being supplied with shielded cords.
Semantics. If we just call the ICE module "analog." people will
think it's just another transistor amp.

Frankly, the H2O stands apart from both the 201/501, and 300 series amps.

It's hard to find info about the ICE modules used. Looking at the 201, I would
guess it uses the ICE 500ASP, a module with a built in digital supply. From
what I could gather at a Rowland website, the 300 series have Rowland's in
house digital supply unit.

The H2O has an analog 1k toroidal, and 60,000 + Uv capacitance power
supply. This amounts to tremendous reserves for any sustained dynamic
impulse, under any load. The analogue power supply gives the sound depth,
body, and weight, while preserving the liquidity, separation, and detail
provided by the ICE 500A.
There is no reason Henry won't be in business for many years to come. He is doing what he loves to do.

I know DS has a LoRad. I think the Belden will sound better. :)
So there you have it. Frankly, it doesn't surprise me. System synergy is important. I have stated it before, when one enters the realm of the H2O, one has bought into a system change, as well. Those who are particularly fond of going direct to the amp, they should look elsewhere for their amp.