USB vs SPDIF, which sounds better?

I am currently using an Audience AU24 SE USB cable between my Aurender N10 music server and the Lampizator Big 7 dac. Since both components have the SPDIF connection, I am wondering if the SPDIF would sound better than the USB. If so, what are some good digital RCA cables available today?  Thanks for your input.
respected_ent

Showing 1 response by mgrif104

I think it really depends on your source and DAC.  I have an Auralic Aries G2 server going into the DAC built into my NAD M12 DAC/Preamp.  It’s a decent DAC - not great - but pretty decent.  There’s reason to believe that newer high DACs are moving in the direction of USB and Ethernet being the preferred connection.  

I had my server hooked up via a Nordost Heimdahl digital cable (1.5M).  It was superior to the Audioquest digital cable I previously had (don’t remember model but it was probably $300 when I bought it).  However, based on another thread, I thought I should try the USB connection and bought a Nordost USB cable (much less than the Nordost SPDIF/Coax cable).  And, it’s a bit better than the SPDIF connection.  Not loads better, but a bit more depth and openness.  Now I may try the Nordost Heimdahl USB cable.  (Where does it end...).

I know an Aurender dealer who prefers the USB connection on his N10 going into his DAC.  YMMV.  

So, I think the only way to know is to audition it yourself. It seems to me to be very system dependent.

Best,