Upgrading Music Hall 2.2 tone arm.

Years ago I had a Linn Basik with a Sumiko Blue point. I loved the sound of that deck. I took a break from my audiophile obsession and got back into it about 3 years ago. I now have a Music Hall 2.2 and I really don't like the sound. I'm thinking of upgrading the arm to a Linn Basik arm or maybe a Rega RB250 or RB300. Does this make sense? Would it improve the sound to close to the Linn or sould I continue to hold out to find a Linn that I can afford right now.

Thanks.
Rod
roddierod

Showing 4 responses by geraldm121

You can obtain a substantial increase in performance by adding the Project Speed Box II (as the MMF 2.2 is manufactured in the Project factory and is actually a step between the Debut III and the Xpression III) and the Project acrylic platter upgrade.Also change the cartridge to one that suits your taste. You will be spending about $240 plus the cartridge of your choice. I have done all of the above to mine plus I added a Denon DL160 cartridge. I doubt you can find a better value by trading in, selling or changing the arm. Is it better than a Linn Basic ? my opinion is yes especially so if the Basik is the pre Akito version. Oh, and so you can judge my prejudices you should know that my primary turntable is an LP12 with the Hercules Regulator and a MMT arm.
Tom,

What I wrote was "Better than a "Linn Basik",which is what Roddierod said he had owned in the past not an LP12. Do you know the difference? I also specified the original version Basik with the not so great Basik arm. The Akido version was a substantial improvement. I also mentioned I own an LP12 that is my reference. I was giving my opinion as the best value for the money spent. I currently own and use all of the turntables I mentioned and thus can do side by side comparisons. Challenge Posts like yours' do not offer information or in any way add to knowledge base of the forum. Finally if you have something to say say it here (oh,and I do post on AA under the same moniker)as this the forum and thread where the original question was asked.

Jerry
OK after reading both Tketcham's and JohnnyB53's posts it seems to be a general misunderstanding that a Linn Basik is a form or variation of an LP12.This is simply not so. The Basik was Linn's attempt at a budget Turntable. Attached below is a link from the "Vinyl Engine" for the Linn Basik instruction manual. As you can see in the manual the Basik is not a suspended turntable like the LP12. Instead (actually quite similar to the MF2.2) it relies on three solidly mounted isolation feet for it's suspension. Most would agree that it was not in the same class either soundwise or construction wise as the LP12. Also the first version came with the Basik arm which left a lot to be desired in regard bearing quality and rigidity. As I mentioned in my earlier post the later versions with the Akito arm were much better. As to a comparison to the MMF 2.2 the Musical Fidelity has a more rigid plinth,suspended motor and a better arm and bearings.No it's not a world beater but as I mentioned in my earlier post it can be made to sound quite decent without a major investment. With all that said if you want a Linn then look for a used LP12 as there are plenty around but keep in mind that setup is a major part of the Linn sound and requires a great deal of patience so make sure that learn the technique or find someone to do it for you.Good luck and have fun.

Jerry

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/linn/basik.shtml
Thanks Tom, and you are correct if there is an arm change involved the is no point in staying with the MMF 2.2.

Best Regards, Jerry