Upgrading from my Bluesound Node 2 streamer

Ignorance is bliss.
I didn't think streamers ( using external DAC) had any influence on the sound. It was just a passway, a bridge,  between the internet and my dac but the more I read the more I'm finding that to be incorrect. Especially from previous Node owners.

So I'm looking to upgrade from the Node ( stream to external dac). Budget less than 2k
I've read may good review on the Lumin U1 Mini and was about to make the purchase when I can came across
these reviews of the Lumin app. Ouch!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.luminmusic.lumincontroller&hl=en_US&gl=US.

Any Lumin users here? Thoughts?

Other streamer recommendations appreciated

emil

Showing 1 response by rnrmf1971

One can make decent improvements with a couple of tweaks to the Node 2i that I believe can make a component level upgrade to the sound of the Node 2i.
The analog output is good but the coaxial digital output is better. I enjoy the solid copper Blue Jeans 1694a digital coax over much more expensive cables of both all silver and silver/copper hybrids.
Also changing the power cable can be effective though I found you have to be careful with this one; I tried 4 different a/c cables before I settled on the best one.

I own a Lumin A1 that I use in another system so I use its analog outputs but without direct comparison I can't characterize differences from the Bluesound. I'm happy the sound quality but dislike the Lumin app. The Bluesound app is much easier to use on a phone or tablet in my opinion. 
I do think the original generation power supply of the Lumin is a weak point - in comparisons of disc playback on an Oppo 205 versus the same mastering streamed to the Lumin, I found greater clarity on the Oppo 205. 

I have compared the the Marantz SA-10 disc playback versus the Node 2i connected via coax to the same player's dac and sound quality is comparable.

My next upgrade is probably going to be an Aurender with hard disk space for ripped discs and downloads I own.
But for streaming sound quality on it's own, I still find the Bluesound compelling, and don't have any particular expectations for major improvements in that area. It'll be nice to be pleasantly surprised at an improvement if there is one, though.