Upgrade RB300 Tonearm or Not?

I am still trying to generate a little more discussion on upgrade issues and benefits for the Rega RB300 Tonearm. I initated another thread earlier with questions about the best wiring, and I want to thank everyone who contributed to that... espcially Onetwothreego. I am hoping for a more feedback on this thread. The question is basically this: I figure if I fully upgrade an RB300, according to my plan (new wiring, i.e. Discovery Cable, Incognito, etc., VTA adjustment, i.e., Pete Riggle VTAF, etc., upgrade counter weight), I would have ATLEAST $700 into an RB300. Is this really worth it for the money, or should I take the $700 and put it towards another tonearm, even if I have to kick in a little more money? I will be using the tonearm on a VPI MKIV with the Super Armboard and TNT platter. I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter advising me for the best bang for the buck. Thanks and regards, Din Dayemi
bside123

Showing 2 responses by bside123

Yea Pauly, this has been my basic, gut level reaction. I know what the VPI MKIV is capable of, and it will go anywhere that my bank account would allow for. I have been on the scout for a VPI JMW-10, but I have some hesitation on that arm. They are available at reasonable prices on the used market. It seems that both the 10.5 & the 10.5i have made considerable improvements over the original 10... but of course there goes the $$. The Hadcocks have perked my interest, but don't know anything about them. Meanwhile... RB700? used SME or Graham? AQ PT-8 or PT-9? Linn Ekos or better? So, as you can see, I am rather swimming in it all. I do want VTA adjustment and anti-skate. So, far I have been using a rather entry level cartridge on my AQ PT-6... Grado Platinum Reference. I like the signature of the Grado sound and have been looking to upgrade to a Sonata or better. There are alot of good cartridges in the $300 price range and up, and up, but this is another can of worms. The audio universe is vast and mysterious Captain Kirk.
So far thanks to everyone that has contributed this thread. Yea, I agree with the majority of the comments. I am leaning (significantly) towards shelling out more money, and just going ahead and getting a tonearm that would be most appropriate for the table. I have had several conversations with some hi-fi outlets, and as well, have spoken with the folks at VPI extensively. Sheila, Harry and Mike are extremely friendly, supportive and patient in my personal experience. Barring something unexpected (like a Naim ARO or a Graham dropping out of the sky), I will probably go with a JMW-10 or better, i.e., 10.5 or 10.5i. The table deserves it, and so do my ears. This doesn't mean I am knocking the approach of upgrading entry level tonearms and turning them into something special. We all love the tweaks that work and the magic of stumbling onto the litte guys that out perfom the bigguns. PS. I am also starting to get over my anti-skate phobia.