Upgrade Marantz 5004 CDP to what ?

Any help would be appreciated.I am currently using the Marantz 5004 CDP with an older exposure pre 17 and 18 mono blocks thru System Audio Mantra 10 speakers. System veers to slightly warm and musical side. I am sure few have heard this stuff besides the Marantz.

I want to spend under 1000 bucks on a stand alone cdp. I prefer used less then 5 years old. Looking for more detail a smooth sound which can expand soundstage particular depth. I listen funk blues jazz folk old R&B some 60s and 70 rock and sometimes new rock and classical

I was thinking Cary, Exposure or creek. Open to new suggestions.
darkstar1
Zd542

Thank you for your thoughts and participation in this thread. Based on your comments the Acram is not right for me. I am still not thinking about a pre right now as I am Convinced based on other Exposure users feedback that these amps respond to any upgrade in the chain. When I do upgrade the pre it will be used tube or a DIY tube pre project.

But I do have a question for you. Since you think a pre is the right route I have to ask why do people spend $$$ on digital sources? What does it bring to the table buying these high priced DAC and CDP players? Do you fall into the camp of all digital sounds the same? I have to think people are getting something for the extra money.

Not being a smart a@@. Really want to know your thought process.
Mesh

I think a used cary CD player because it can play MOFI SACDs. I Have really enjoyed the vinyl MOFI I have great sound and soundstage, a real pleasure to listen to. Plus I can use the Cary as a transport or Dac in the future. And finally all the descriptions and reviews point the Cary having the presentation I want. If I don't like it I will sell it.

Of all the amps I have heard not one has crushed the Exposure. They have been different but not out right better. I like the Rouge audio intergrated and would be happy with it. The Audio Research stuff was nice more detailed but not as fun to listen to IMO. The Mac stuff I heard was very high dollar and some what similar but the exposure out did it slightly in many aspects for much less $$$. None of these amps were so much better to cause me to literally spend a thousand or more dollars on an upgrade that would get me something different but not better. I sure it's out there but I have not heard it yet.
I do not know if this post is still relevant, but I am looking for an 8004 or 8005. I have had a demo 5003 and purchased the 6004. That alone was a nice step in the right direction for layering redbook cd's. Going up to a better and quieter power supply will also help reveal more of whats there. The 8's also add an additional layer as well as a gel material between the top one for resonance dampening. As well as the dampened tray itself, the 8005 steps it up with an enclosed disc drive, that the 8004 is still open. The claim is a more rigid chassis with additional shielding and sound deadening to keep the already quiet drive from being picked up on the output side. Look for the 8004 or 8005. You will be happy I know I will.