Upgrade CD player or get into LPs? Suggestions

Folks

I've now enjoyed my system for about 2 years now, and starting to think about upgrading or adding to it. Any thoughts of what I should do to increase my listening experience?

Should I upgrade my CDP? Or, change my entire experience by getting into LPs? If upgrade, any CDP suggestions that is below $5k (new)? If LPs, what are the beginners+ TT to consider (one added plus is that my current preamp handles phono)?? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Current system:
Cary 303/100 CD player
Audible Illusions 3A preamp
BAT 75SE
Dali 800 MKII
Synergistic Research Galileo speaker cells
BASIK strings I/Cs
broken

Showing 1 response by dhl93449

I used to listen exclusively to LPs back in the 70s- early 80s. When CDs came along I bought in mainly to save wear and tear on my LPs, which I stll considered my reference source for music. CDs replaced cassette tape and the convenience of using them became addictive, supported by the lack of surface noise LPs (and tape) always produce.

Fast forward to today and I have all but forsaken vinyl, but plan on resurrecting it. IMHO 16 bit resolution of standard CDs is just not enough to provide the low level details of vinyl, surface noise notwithstanding. The higher resolution digital 24 bit may be a lot better, I don't know. I do know that 24 bit music selection is meager at best, and there is little to no hope that the hundreds of LPs or CDs I have accumulated over the years will ever be reproduced in high res 24 bit sources.

If you have never listened to a vinyl rig, you owe it to yourself to find one and listen. You may wish to freeze your digital CD based system where it is and start a vinyl setup. After you have made the comparison, then go from there. Vinyl does require a lot more tweaking and attention than playing CDs require, which require more than steaming from a music server. LPs also wear out while digital sources do not.

Surprisingly though, LPs for many artists are still available, with CD sources still being the most common.