under $300 bookshelfs: does excitement exist?

sub sidized of course.
dylancaroll2002f250
Without subs, the Athena Technologies Audition line sounds great: open, clear, dynamic and fast, and perhaps better at timing than anything else out there. And decent bass too. These are the descendants of the Sound Dynamics RTS-3s Harry Pearson went on about (and while you must suspect him of being full of crap with regards to expensive equipment, why would he rave about cheap equipment unless he was honestly impressed?) They were good enough that I retired from the "High-end" bullshit, except insofar as my vinyl rigs go.
i know it doesn't really matter johnnantais, but bestbuy, honestly? i am not being a pr@#k, just truley curious.
Hi, Try the Axiom M3ti or the M22ti that I have. I use them with a tube integrated amp and a powered sub and I'm happy. 30 day money back,factory direct and free 2-day Fed-Ex shipping.Try the factory outlet store for better prices. Look at both reviews @ www.soundstage.com
Jerry
B&W DM303's; you will be amazed. Also, Paradigm Atoms or Titans. I have a pair of Titans in the bedroom without a sub that are doing a great job.

Good luck,
dylan,

If you are "just truely curious", do some homework on the Athena Line. I was shock when I saw that they got picked up by BB. They are a very well reviewed speaker and are very inexpensive. This line has been carried by AudioAdvisor for a couple of years.

One added benefit of the Athena speakers is that they are relatively efficient, so any amp over about 5-10 watt/channel would likely drive them. This opens up lots of possibilities including a small tube integrated amp or something like a single Monarchy SM-70.

Don't discount the Athena just because best buy picked them up. These speakers have gotten great reviews in their price range. Also, if you buy them at Best Buy or AudioAdvisor, you could try them and return them with little/no hassle if they don't work for you. Can you do that with a used or "Audiophile Brand" from another e-tailer? Oh yeah, they can be had for under $200!

Past the Athena, I think the new Epos might be a good choice as would some of the Castle speakers that are being closed out right now.

Enjoy,

TIC