Two Subs?

My listening room is 22L x 12W x 8H. I'm currently using a single REL Storm III. I'm toying with the idea of getting a second REL; but how can I determine if my room can actually accommodate two RELs without having to buy the second REL?
rockyboy

Showing 4 responses by rodge827

I use the Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0 in my 2.2speaker system. I also use it as the Dac and preamp. If you use it this way I would advise getting a good 12v dc linear or battery power supply.
My 2 subs are Shelby+Kroll Woofer Monitors which are a 10" down firing design.
My room is 15.5'w x 21'l x 8.25'h man cave/office.
The Dual Core can measure the room from 20hz-20kz and you can also choose what frequency you want to measure. From there you can make the necessary adjustments for the bass you like, and keep them in 4 different profiles that are easily accessible with a push of a button on the remote.

From the measuring tool I saw that I had a huge valley or "hole" from 35-55hz and a serious peek around 70hz. By placing the subs in the corners, turning up their gain,and running a 200hz correction the hole began to close and brought down the 70hz peek. I continued increasing the gain, doing corrections, and measurements until I got the bass to -1.5db from flat to about 120hz!
No cutting with extension beyond belief!

I never knew how many deeeep notes that Victor Wooten was using in Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo (Bela Fleck and the Flectones), but I do now!
The bass and drums on Hotel California from The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" is deep,clean, focused, and very extended.
All of my music even single acoustic guitar music by Tommy Emmanuel and Frank Vignola has body and depth that are intoxicating to listen to. Hearing INTO the guitar body is something I was never able to do before installing the Dual Core.
I could go on and on, but if you are using 2 subs the Dual Core 2.0 is a must to get the most out of them without having to move your subs all around the room.
Oh and there is an adjustable subsonic filter so you won't fry your drivers.
Rockyboy,
I had the 8033s for the subs and graduated to the Dual Core from the distributors request. The 8033s was very good, but the D/C took the sound quality up many a notch. The D/C has USB and Optical SPDIF inputs and an Optical SPDIF output. Therefore it can be installed using it in Pure Digital. Use either the USB or Optical inputs and the Optical out to your dac. You can run the necessary room corrections and use the dac/preamp/amp combo of your choice. The room corrections are done in the digital domain and will continue down stream to your dac. The D/C is a very user friendly piece and can find it's way into most systems.
Heck for the cost of one, you might want to check out it's dac and pre against yours and decide to use it that way. That's what I did and I'm very happy.

As noted above the D/C will sound better with a quality 12v dc linear power supply or 12 dc battery power supply. I checked with Dspeaker and a 12v dc LiFePo4 battery fully charged is 15v dc and will work with the D/C.

Hope this helps.
A kindred spirit: room correction, Tommy Emmanuel, and Frank Vignola. My Ryan Thorell archtop is one of my favorite guitars (tho it's not the Vignola model, it has a strong family resemblance). And I fully agree that when you clean up the lower registers via room correction, the personality of the guitar being played is much more recognizable.

So true!
Brings a whole new experience to the table.
I never knew Rodrigo y Gabriela could sound so good and precise. Like sitting third row center and getting the live sound from the stage!

Wow! A Thorell Archtop!
Serious player, no doubt! :-)
Nice ...very nice!
Rockyboy,
I read through the thread and I can't comment on the clipping issue the one guy is having. The only clipping issue I had was from my former dac that had a 5v output and clipped the analog input. There is a sensitivity filter that can be placed on High or Low for this issue, and it worked for me. I have read about the MiniDSP and doing measurements with REW, but found the Dual Core 2.0 to do a very good job and never felt the need to go that route. If budget is an issue the 8033sII is a great product and should be seriously considered. I have the 8033c on my HT sub(SVS 2039+) and like what it does there.

I had read numerous posts and some papers about sub placement and tried to implement those techniques. It was a lot of work and in the end the Dual Core did a better job. I'm very happy with the sound quality with the subs placed in the r&l front corners of my listening room. If I could I would place a sub in the front Left or Right corner and a sub in the opposite corner on the rear wall. Play around with measurements and calibrations until I was satisfied with the bass.