Two JL F212s verses two Velodyne 18 plus?

I have a room 13.5 x 24 dedicated home theatre and listening room. Presently I have a Velodyne DD 15" sub. I am looking at going to a two subsystem and have another application for my Velodyne DD 15. I am considering two JL F212s or two F113s or two Velodyne 18 plus. I have been slightly underwhelmed with the single velodyne DD 15. The rest of the system is Anthem D2v, Classe 5200, B&W N802s, HTM1s and B&W side and rear speakers. I run a rotel amp for rear speakers.
ghaas

Showing 2 responses by vicdamone

Exactly what is your sonic goal? Home theater with massive bass effect impact, music only with seamless low frequency integration, or both?

If you have the room and don't mind a large enclosure the ultimate and possibly most economical is a 400w ServoDrive bin which could easily be powered by a modest pro amp such as a fan less Crest or QSC, EQ'd using the Velodyne SMS.

I rented the small 2-18 for an outdoor gig, brought it home for a day and used my DD 18 for the EQ HT signal. Nothing on the consumer market even comes close to the low frequency energy the ServoDrive has on tap.

Mitchell has been around the block and I couldn't agree more. IMO, regardless of what brands you check out the Velodyne EQ, whether in the stand alone SMS or in their powered systems, is the easiest and possibly the best consumer method to EQ and integrate low frequency into a listening room.

I've replaced my single DD 18 with two DD 12+ in my two channel system with dramatic results. Velodyne has done their homework on the + series but I'm very biased.
For what it's worth, I followed Mitchell going from the DD 15's to the JL Audio F113's in previous discussions. I consider him true to actual performance over brand loyalty and I trust his evaluation.

I EQ'd my sub before running my Pioneer SC-07 receivers room correction and then did a slight manual adjustment.