Two Channel System Development Suggestions

I presently have the following gear:

Sim Audio Equinox CD Player
Arcam C30 Preamplifier
Proceed Amp 3
Paradigm Studio 60s

The electronics were purchased used here on Audiogon. The speakers are approximately one year old.

I am looking to upgrade my system one piece per year with an annual budget of $3,000 to $5,000. System is primarily used for two channel audio (I also have a Denon 2900 Universal player and Paradigm center channel and surrounds). I primarily listen to female vocals, jazz, folk and rock.

I welcome any suggestions as to what piece of equipment I should replace first. I would also like some input regarding recommended replacement pieces. I'm obviously not opposed to buying quality used equipment and strongly believe you can get your best value in used amplifiers given their long life expectancy and the lack of annual amplifier product enhancements (just my opinion).

I've learned a lot from Audiogon members over the last few years. Thanks in advance for your time and attention.
randal05

Showing 1 response by noble100

Your system is all solid state. Ever consider a nice tubed preamp like BAT, ARC, CJ or VTL with HT pass through?
In general, I think the speakers and the preamp are the pieces that most determine how a system sounds - speakers the most and preamp second, although you'll find differing opinions here on Audiogon about this. I've been doing what you're doing (upgrading a component every year or so) and this has held true in my upgrades. Good luck