Turntable Cartridge upgrade question.

Hi guys

I currently run Ortofon 2M Black cartridge that is MM type. 

what would be step up to MC type cartridges in price range $1200 that would be way better than 2M Black ?

Thank you for input ahead!

128x128ssg308
  1. The Hana 1200 cartridges are outstanding for the money. I'd also say that while the Schiit mani 2 is a great phono stage for the money, you’re going to want to upgrade that at some point as well. I ran a Hana ml1200 with a music surroundings nova iii for some time and thought that was a stellar combo for the price. My point is really that at some level, your limiting factor is going to be the phono stage. And I like Schiit a lot. Have a dac from them as well as a headphone amp. And for what you’re currently running, the mani is great, but you’ll definitely want to make a change there at some point

We love the MC Cartridges from Skyanalog. This company has been in the cartridge making business for 25 years and make some well known cartridges for other brands as an OEM supplier. Their prices range from $600 USD to $2800 Here's a new review for their G-3MC but the G-1 and G-2 are in the price bracket.

I recently went thru the phonostage research and purchase process, it can be a blur!  In the end I purchased the black ice audio F159 tube phonostage.  Totally transformed my vinyl playback and then I upgraded to an old school Grace F9 cart with Ruby OTL stylus and wow….(I’ve a vintage Grace tonearm hence the Grace cart was a great match).  I concur that your weak link is definitely that phono stage. 
I honestly never seriously considered the mani.

Another vote for the HANA ML.  Wonderful through the whole spectrum and great bass.  Please follow the other suggestions for upgrading your phone stage as you will reap HUGE benefits from an upgrade.  I've used Pro-ject, the same Schitt you have and settled on the PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier.

@ssg308 In relation to Pass.

I encouraged a very adept EE friend to look at the Pass Korg B1.

In the end they built a basic model and the demo’ given to the local HiFi Group was quite impressive. Shortly after a 3 Box Version ( VC - Circuit - PS) was produced using Black Gate Cap’s and a improved Volume Control, this was extremely impressive but also timely.

A member of the HiFi Group had invested heavily in the Vinyl Front End and New EAR Power Amp’s.

A Pre Amp was required, in a line of Pre Amps where approx’ £15K of Pre’s were present and one was approx’ £5K in value, which the EAR Pre.

After all the toing and throwing between Amp's, the KB1 was put on in both build guises, the system owner today has the KB1 in use for a few years with today a Khozmo VC and carefully introduced Boutique Cap's, the original and few upgrades are still close to £600 as the overall build cost.

This Pre is working extremely well and is not wanted to be changed, it sits in the Company of other ancillaries costing close to £50K in total. 

Within the Local HiFi Group there are now Five versions of KB1's in use, and I am having a Balanced design produced as well.