Tubes vs SS preamp question....

Hi All,

I have a BAT SS power amp and a BAT P5 tube phono stage (Linn LP12/Graham/Clearaudio Concerto) and Martin Logan speakers (hoping to replace/upgrade soon). My question is regarding a preamp upgrade from a Krell Showcase PrePro.
Would you recommend a tube preamp to go alongside a tube phono amp?? Or is one tube component enough in a system?? I know there will be massive differences between all the different options, looking more for a general input as to whether multiple tube components work together or is just one component enough to get that tube sound and I might be better off focusing on SS for the preamp.
I really appreciate any feedback.
Thank you.

denjer1

Showing 2 responses by noble100

Hello denjer1,

I need a bit more info to properly answer your question.  What is the exact name and model number of your Krell Showcase PrePro?

Tim
denjer1,

I agree with both big_greg and atmosphere.  You like tubes so why not try all tubes first?  What matters is your opinion.

If you're going to buy new, I'd suggest visiting local dealers and requesting an in-home loaner you can audition in your system.  The Bat VK-53SE tube pre might be a good match with your Bat amp.
      If you're buying used, I'd suggest buying a good quality unit that you can resell easily just in case.

Enjoy,
 Tim